Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Meshing problem on 2D profile

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello, I'm running into the issue where I'm trying to create a mesh on a 2D profile, which is later swept over the geometry. Here I'm trying to create a mesh where only some horizontal lines are added which devides the profile into some rectangular vertical elements, see the image I added for a better visualization. However, I can't find a function in Comsol which does this. Right now I'm using the Explicit distribution from the Mapped function, but this always creates a horizontal aswell as a vertical line, instead of only a horizontal one as I want. Does anyone know if there is a function in Comsol that can do this?

2 Replies Last Post 2022年11月8日 GMT-5 10:08
Mark Cops COMSOL Employee

Posted: 2 years ago 2022年11月8日 GMT-5 09:55

Hi Kasper, It sounds like you are creating a mapped mesh on a 2D surface of a 3D geometry. If using the distribution type "Fixed number of elements" from the drop down, you should be able to select an edge and prescribe the number of elements in the desired direction. If you only want horizontal lines, you could try selecting a horizonal edge in for the distribution and specifying 1 for the Number of elements. This should give one element along this direction.

Best,

Mark

Hi Kasper, It sounds like you are creating a mapped mesh on a 2D surface of a 3D geometry. If using the distribution type "Fixed number of elements" from the drop down, you should be able to select an edge and prescribe the number of elements in the desired direction. If you only want horizontal lines, you could try selecting a horizonal edge in for the distribution and specifying 1 for the Number of elements. This should give one element along this direction. Best, Mark

Posted: 2 years ago 2022年11月8日 GMT-5 10:08

Hello Mark,

Thanks for your quick and clear explanation! It worked fine the way you explained it.

Sincerely Kasper

Hello Mark, Thanks for your quick and clear explanation! It worked fine the way you explained it. Sincerely Kasper

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.