Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How do I include the stress data from the results of a previous study into a new study on the deformed geometry (same mesh copied)?

Chiraprabha Bhattacharyya

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have a linear elastic thin beam (2D), which I am buckling (first mode) to a desired clamp-to-clamp distance in a stationary study. I now want to take this buckled beam into a fluid filled tank (also 2D) and perform further structural analysis in the fluid medium (FSI). (The situation is like, I am buckling a beam in air, then taking it underwater for further analysis.)

I have remeshed the deformed shape of the beam and used it as geometry input for the solid part of the FSI (as explained here: https://www.comsol.com/blogs/how-to-reuse-a-deformed-shape-as-a-geometry-input/ ... (1)), and I have a rectangular fluid tank around this geometry.

The issue is, this incorporates the shape of the beam, but not the stresses generated in the first study. I want to include the stresses also. I see a lot of comments on this issue in the link(1) above as well.

I have tried saving the stress values(solid.sx, solid.sxy, ...) from the stationary study in a file, then creating an interpolating function using that file, and entering that function in the 'Initial Stress and Strain' node and 'External Stress' node, but the error "Failed to find consistent initial values" shows up. Is there a standard way of including the stresses also along with the geometry from a previous study? Is there a blog written about this topic as was suggested in the link(1)?

Please ask for any mph file or mesh if you want to take a look.

1 Reply Last Post 2023年1月21日 GMT-5 13:48
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Chiraprabha Bhattacharyya

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 year ago 2023年1月21日 GMT-5 13:48

One option is to use the "Coupling" feature in the Solid Mechanics interface to couple the previous buckling study with the current FSI study. This can be done by defining the "Initial Stress and Strain" and "External Stress" fields in the Solid Mechanics interface using the stresses from the previous buckling study. However, this approach may require some manual adjustments to ensure that the stresses are correctly transferred between the two studies.

Another option is to use the "Transfer" feature in the Model Builder to transfer the solution from the previous buckling study to the current FSI study. This can be done by creating a new study in the Model Builder, and then using the "Transfer" feature to transfer the solution from the previous buckling study to the current FSI study. This approach may be more straightforward than the first option, but it may also require some manual adjustments to ensure that the stresses are correctly transferred between the two studies.

Alternatively, you can use the "Import" feature in the Model Builder to import the solution of the previous study. This can be done by creating a new study in the Model Builder, and then using the "Import" feature to import the solution of the previous study. This approach may be more straightforward than the first two options, but it will depend on the specifics of the case.

One option is to use the "Coupling" feature in the Solid Mechanics interface to couple the previous buckling study with the current FSI study. This can be done by defining the "Initial Stress and Strain" and "External Stress" fields in the Solid Mechanics interface using the stresses from the previous buckling study. However, this approach may require some manual adjustments to ensure that the stresses are correctly transferred between the two studies. Another option is to use the "Transfer" feature in the Model Builder to transfer the solution from the previous buckling study to the current FSI study. This can be done by creating a new study in the Model Builder, and then using the "Transfer" feature to transfer the solution from the previous buckling study to the current FSI study. This approach may be more straightforward than the first option, but it may also require some manual adjustments to ensure that the stresses are correctly transferred between the two studies. Alternatively, you can use the "Import" feature in the Model Builder to import the solution of the previous study. This can be done by creating a new study in the Model Builder, and then using the "Import" feature to import the solution of the previous study. This approach may be more straightforward than the first two options, but it will depend on the specifics of the case.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.