Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Changing the position of an imported geometry in the COMSOL coordinate system

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to change the positions of two imported geometries in the COMSOL coordinate system. Unfortunately, after scaling them, they are not placed in the point of origin but somewhere else.

Changing positions of geometries created in COMSOL is no problem but as I am dealing with imported geometries I have difficulties at that point. Does anyone know how to accomplish that?

Thank you.

12 Replies Last Post 2017年7月19日 GMT-4 07:55
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年11月21日 GMT-5 13:13
Hi

but cant you "just" "move" also an imported geometry ?

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi but cant you "just" "move" also an imported geometry ? -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年11月22日 GMT-5 05:05
Yes, indirectly, I already found out how it is done.

Just right click Geometry and the select Move under Transforms. That was a little tricky as I expected to find the Move button right away and under Transforms...
Yes, indirectly, I already found out how it is done. Just right click Geometry and the select Move under Transforms. That was a little tricky as I expected to find the Move button right away and under Transforms...

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年11月7日 GMT-5 21:25
But how do you find out the coordinates of your geometry.
I know how to use move function, however, I cannot find out the coordinates of edges of my rectagular geometry.
But how do you find out the coordinates of your geometry. I know how to use move function, however, I cannot find out the coordinates of edges of my rectagular geometry.

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年11月8日 GMT-5 08:20
Hello Seunghun,
You can use the Measure button to determine the coordinates of vertices in your geometry. See Reference Manual, version 5.2a, pages 393-394. All manuals are accessed through File > Help > Documentation.
Best regards,
Jeff
Hello Seunghun, You can use the Measure button to determine the coordinates of vertices in your geometry. See Reference Manual, version 5.2a, pages 393-394. All manuals are accessed through File > Help > Documentation. Best regards, Jeff

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年7月13日 GMT-4 00:31

Hello Seunghun,
You can use the Measure button to determine the coordinates of vertices in your geometry. See Reference Manual, version 5.2a, pages 393-394. All manuals are accessed through File > Help > Documentation.
Best regards,
Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Is it possible to modify/edit an imported geometry in COMSOL. For example, if I import .mphbin file which has 2 concentric cylinders and I want to change the size (height or radius) of those cylinders. Is it possible? If yes, please let me know. Thank you.
Ranjha
[QUOTE] Hello Seunghun, You can use the Measure button to determine the coordinates of vertices in your geometry. See Reference Manual, version 5.2a, pages 393-394. All manuals are accessed through File > Help > Documentation. Best regards, Jeff [/QUOTE] Hi Jeff, Is it possible to modify/edit an imported geometry in COMSOL. For example, if I import .mphbin file which has 2 concentric cylinders and I want to change the size (height or radius) of those cylinders. Is it possible? If yes, please let me know. Thank you. Ranjha

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年7月13日 GMT-4 14:54
Hi Qasim,
You would not import a .mphbin file in that case. Instead you'd use "insert sequence" and point to the .mph file which contains the parametrized geometry.
Best,
Jeff
Hi Qasim, You would not import a .mphbin file in that case. Instead you'd use "insert sequence" and point to the .mph file which contains the parametrized geometry. Best, Jeff

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年7月13日 GMT-4 17:48

Hi Qasim,
You would not import a .mphbin file in that case. Instead you'd use "insert sequence" and point to the .mph file which contains the parametrized geometry.
Best,
Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thank you very much for the help. It means its always better to save your geometry as .mph file rather than .mphbin file. I hope COMSOL would fix this in the next release. This would be helpful in case someone wants to do parametric analyses for geometric dimensions or in a case where you are creating a complex geometry want to save and resume it later.

Best
Qasim
[QUOTE] Hi Qasim, You would not import a .mphbin file in that case. Instead you'd use "insert sequence" and point to the .mph file which contains the parametrized geometry. Best, Jeff [/QUOTE] Hi Jeff, Thank you very much for the help. It means its always better to save your geometry as .mph file rather than .mphbin file. I hope COMSOL would fix this in the next release. This would be helpful in case someone wants to do parametric analyses for geometric dimensions or in a case where you are creating a complex geometry want to save and resume it later. Best Qasim

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年7月14日 GMT-4 08:02
Hello Qasim,
Each format has its relative benefits and drawbacks as far as geometry transfer is concerned. One benefit of the mphbin format is its portability between versions, i.e. you can create a geometry in a recent version of COMSOL, save it as an mphbin file and then import it into an older version of COMSOL Multiphysics. Another benefit of the mphbin format is the smaller file size. On the other hand, the mph format retains the history of steps needed to create a geometry and its parametrization.
Best regards,
Jeff
Hello Qasim, Each format has its relative benefits and drawbacks as far as geometry transfer is concerned. One benefit of the mphbin format is its portability between versions, i.e. you can create a geometry in a recent version of COMSOL, save it as an mphbin file and then import it into an older version of COMSOL Multiphysics. Another benefit of the mphbin format is the smaller file size. On the other hand, the mph format retains the history of steps needed to create a geometry and its parametrization. Best regards, Jeff

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年7月15日 GMT-4 14:13
Hi Jeff,

Yes, portability is a great advantage. However, addition of an option to save and reload the geometry as sequence would be a great help too. A single geometry file without mesh should still be of small size.
Thank you.

Qasim
Hi Jeff, Yes, portability is a great advantage. However, addition of an option to save and reload the geometry as sequence would be a great help too. A single geometry file without mesh should still be of small size. Thank you. Qasim

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年7月17日 GMT-4 07:59
You can also create parametrized geometry parts and store them into a user library to share between models. Given your latest post in this thread, this does seem to be what you are after. See Reference Manual for COMSOL Multiphysics, version 5.3, page 419 and following.
Best regards,
Jeff
You can also create parametrized geometry parts and store them into a user library to share between models. Given your latest post in this thread, this does seem to be what you are after. See Reference Manual for COMSOL Multiphysics, version 5.3, page 419 and following. Best regards, Jeff

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年7月19日 GMT-4 05:07
Yes, That's another option too. Thank you for the detailed answers to my question.
I have another question. Is it possible to export the solution (spreadsheet or sectionwise) to Tecplot?
Best
Qasim
Yes, That's another option too. Thank you for the detailed answers to my question. I have another question. Is it possible to export the solution (spreadsheet or sectionwise) to Tecplot? Best Qasim

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年7月19日 GMT-4 07:55
Hello Qasim,
Since this latest question is unrelated to this thread, please consider starting a new thread. You are more likely to get responses from Discussion Forum users if your question is in a thread with a related subject line.
Best regards,
Jeff
Hello Qasim, Since this latest question is unrelated to this thread, please consider starting a new thread. You are more likely to get responses from Discussion Forum users if your question is in a thread with a related subject line. Best regards, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.