Serious error in semiconductor module using FEM discretization

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I am a comsol user, and currrently working on semiconductor module to simulate MOSFET.

First of all, I would like to thank the comsol developers for giving me great opportunity to simulate the multiphysics with the semiconductor module.

However, I found some serious error regarding the finite element quasi fermi level discretization methods (both linear and quadratic) during my simulation.

I found that the finite element method (FEM) does not properly account for the surface charge or space charge at the interfaces and oxides.

For a proof, I attached the slides to show that the threshold voltage shift is not shown in the FEM method, while the the conventional (default) finite volume method shows the appropriate threshold voltage shift due to the interface charge density.

I really hope that the bug will be fixed soon so that the COMSOL offers more reliable semiconductor simulator!

Best regards,

1 Reply Last Post 2024年5月29日 GMT-4 02:32
Lipeng Liu COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 4 weeks ago 2024年5月29日 GMT-4 02:32

Hi,

Thanks for your post. I had a look at it but couldn't reproduce the issue. Could you please provide a .mph model so we can investigate further?

Thanks and regards, Lipeng

Hi, Thanks for your post. I had a look at it but couldn't reproduce the issue. Could you please provide a .mph model so we can investigate further? Thanks and regards, Lipeng

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.