Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Combination of Fluid Flow and Heat Transfer

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone, I am a new member of this forum and also a fresh user of COMSOL. I hope I will be able to learn from and discuss problems with all of you. My first enquiry to the forum follows:

My scenario:
An embedded pipe with hot fluid flowing inside

Aim:
To find out how the heat is transferred from the pipe to the surrounding over time. hence to determine the positional temperatures in the surrounding, such as 1m or 2m away from the pipe.

I know how to model it easily only with a heated pipe being embedded, but I do not know how to model it with the hot fluid flowing inside the pipe.

I am looking forward to hearing your advice on how to model this scenario correctly.

Thanking you in advance.

2 Replies Last Post 2013年1月21日 GMT-5 22:25
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年1月21日 GMT-5 01:05
Hi

I would propose that you study the conjugated heat Transfer (NITF) but as this is a multi-physics environment, that is rather heavy, it's worthwhile to start to study only HT, then only SPF (laminar flow), then the combination NITF
When you have solved correctly the others independently, then its easier to set up the NITF correctly

Debugging is far easier one physics at the time
--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I would propose that you study the conjugated heat Transfer (NITF) but as this is a multi-physics environment, that is rather heavy, it's worthwhile to start to study only HT, then only SPF (laminar flow), then the combination NITF When you have solved correctly the others independently, then its easier to set up the NITF correctly Debugging is far easier one physics at the time -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年1月21日 GMT-5 22:25
Thanks for your reply, Ivar.

I think I am doing alright with just the heat transfer part, I am now exploring in the fluid flow part.

Thanks for your reply, Ivar. I think I am doing alright with just the heat transfer part, I am now exploring in the fluid flow part.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.