Electromagnetic Heating not Simulating

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I have a model that I've just posted about re AC losses, but I have a more major, pressing issue with the simulation that I cannot solve and wondering if anyone could give some advice. It is a superconducting cable that was downloaded from this source: https://htsmodelling.com/model-files/3d-comsol-model-for-corc-cables which simulates redistribution of current after an external heat pulse.

The issue I'm having is that, after disabling the heat source (I'm only concerned with the electromagnetic cable heating not external), there is no heating internally of the cable when I run the model. The external boundary is maintained at 77K and designed to keep the cable cool, so there should not be much internal temperature change, but even when I drastically increase the current input to way over critical temperature (when resistance should become very large) there is zero internal heating. The heat transfer node is not the issue, because in the original model with external heat, the 77K boundary condition cooled the cable back down over time with the correct heat flux.

I would like to know how much cooling power is required by the external boundary without a heat pulse but with only internal electromagnetic heating (which should be present even if very small as far as I'm aware), but no matter the parameters that I change I cannot get the cable to heat up.

For reference, the T-A formulation is used for current vector generation, along with Magnetic Field node with electrical conductivity defined from the material, Heat Transfer in Shells node that seems to be all OK, and a Multiphysics node for Electromagnetic Heating. Any other model information I'm happy to provide! The temperature variation within the superconducting tape is in the order of 10e-13 over the sim time, which would be purely calculation error.

Thank you massively in advance if anyone can help shed any light on why I'm not getting any internal cable heating. The top-level model builder is shown in the image attached.

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.