Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How do I model two different fluids in one domain?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I am new to COMSOL, and am trying to model a microfluidic device that has two fluids, each with a different conductivity. I tried building a geometry with two domains that are a union with an interior boundary. But of course the two fluids then can not interact. I tried a geometry with one domain (a union without an interior boundary) but then I can only use one material for the entire domain. I would like these fluids to be able to diffuse together and be influenced by the same electric field. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks,
Anne

3 Replies Last Post 2014年10月15日 GMT-4 15:39
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Anne Regel

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年4月10日 GMT-4 00:33
I also have the same problem..do you got idea or anybody who can give me idea.

I also have the same problem..do you got idea or anybody who can give me idea.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年4月13日 GMT-4 18:09
Hi Mohamed Yousuf,
The short answer is you can't. Each domain can only be one material. However, you can use make one structure with multiple domains, or you can flow a new material into a domain. I suggest you look at some of the COMSOL microfluidic models. The micromixer model that COMSOL has multiple fluids flowing into one central channel, each fluid can have different properties and the central channel shows the mixing of the separate flows.

- Anne
Hi Mohamed Yousuf, The short answer is you can't. Each domain can only be one material. However, you can use make one structure with multiple domains, or you can flow a new material into a domain. I suggest you look at some of the COMSOL microfluidic models. The micromixer model that COMSOL has multiple fluids flowing into one central channel, each fluid can have different properties and the central channel shows the mixing of the separate flows. - Anne

Posted: 10 years ago 2014年10月15日 GMT-4 15:39
Maybe you can use one of the "Level Set" or "Phase Field" Methods. They allow you to use one domain with two fluids.
Maybe you can use one of the "Level Set" or "Phase Field" Methods. They allow you to use one domain with two fluids.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.