Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Surface impedance

Gustavo Leite Silvano

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,

I want to plot the surface impedance of my simulation. Can I do it in COMSOL? How I do it?

Thanks

Gustavo

4 Replies Last Post 2016年11月3日 GMT-4 08:41
Sergei Yushanov Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年2月25日 GMT-5 08:22
Gustavo,

Surface impedance is directly related to skin depth and is defined as

Zs=Rs*(1+j)

where Rs=1/(sigma*delta) is surface resistance, sigma is electric conductivity, and delta is skin depth.

Skin depth is predefined variable available for post-processing: delta=emw.deltaS.

So, to plot real part of surface impedance, type in the following expression:

real((1+j)/(emw.sigmaxx* emw.deltaS))

and to plot imaginary part of surface impedance, type

imag((1+j)/(emw.sigmaxx* emw.deltaS))

Regards,
Sergei
Gustavo, Surface impedance is directly related to skin depth and is defined as Zs=Rs*(1+j) where Rs=1/(sigma*delta) is surface resistance, sigma is electric conductivity, and delta is skin depth. Skin depth is predefined variable available for post-processing: delta=emw.deltaS. So, to plot real part of surface impedance, type in the following expression: real((1+j)/(emw.sigmaxx* emw.deltaS)) and to plot imaginary part of surface impedance, type imag((1+j)/(emw.sigmaxx* emw.deltaS)) Regards, Sergei

Gustavo Leite Silvano

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年2月25日 GMT-5 14:09
Thanks for the reply, but where do I put this equation? It's a global variation, or I have to define a point or line of make a surface integral?
My problem is a 2d grafene plate, but the simulation is in a 3d enviroment. So I have to make a superficial integral on the plate or anything like that?

Gustavo
Thanks for the reply, but where do I put this equation? It's a global variation, or I have to define a point or line of make a surface integral? My problem is a 2d grafene plate, but the simulation is in a 3d enviroment. So I have to make a superficial integral on the plate or anything like that? Gustavo

Sergei Yushanov Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年2月26日 GMT-5 08:09
Gustavo,

It is not clear from your description what you are planning to do with surface impedance in your simulation. Definitely, you can plot it for visualization purposes, as you mentioned in your original question, but it is hard to imagine why you would need integration.

Surface impedance is material parameter characterizing its response at the specified frequency. Generally, more informative characteristic is skin depth. Skin depth allows you to estimate necessary mesh refinement level near the surface of the conductor or can suggest you to replace sheet of the conductor by Transition Boundary Condition. This boundary condition will represent discontinuity of the tangential electric field across the interior boundary and Comsol internally calculates surface impedance based on the material conductivity and sheet thickness.

Regards,
Sergei
Gustavo, It is not clear from your description what you are planning to do with surface impedance in your simulation. Definitely, you can plot it for visualization purposes, as you mentioned in your original question, but it is hard to imagine why you would need integration. Surface impedance is material parameter characterizing its response at the specified frequency. Generally, more informative characteristic is skin depth. Skin depth allows you to estimate necessary mesh refinement level near the surface of the conductor or can suggest you to replace sheet of the conductor by Transition Boundary Condition. This boundary condition will represent discontinuity of the tangential electric field across the interior boundary and Comsol internally calculates surface impedance based on the material conductivity and sheet thickness. Regards, Sergei

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年11月3日 GMT-4 08:41
Hi Sergei Yushanov,
My name is Yoon, I am working on an antenna modeling. I want to evaluate the Skin depth of an electromagnetic field in a medium (soil, concrete...) Going through you reply I found very educative and interesting. according to the expression to evaluate the real part of the surface resistance. I tried the expression by it gives an error comment. since the surface resistance is related to the skin depth, I can used the value of the surface resistance to evaluate the skin depth.
Thanks as I will be happy to receive your reply soonest.
Hi Sergei Yushanov, My name is Yoon, I am working on an antenna modeling. I want to evaluate the Skin depth of an electromagnetic field in a medium (soil, concrete...) Going through you reply I found very educative and interesting. according to the expression to evaluate the real part of the surface resistance. I tried the expression by it gives an error comment. since the surface resistance is related to the skin depth, I can used the value of the surface resistance to evaluate the skin depth. Thanks as I will be happy to receive your reply soonest.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.