Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Multilayer structures: multiple Rectangles or one Rectangle with Layers?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I am dealing with multilayer structures, and I have a small doubt: modelling a multilayer, do I get the same results (and of course the same physical meaning) using:
1) different rectangles (i.e. in Geometry having Rectangle 1, Rectangle 2 etc.)
2) use only one "Rectangle" but defining the thickness of the layers in "Layers" (in the Rectangle window)
Or, to be more precise, is the procedure 2) more suitable when you have to model a multilayer with a large number of layers (so it's faster than to create multiple rectangles)? But, of course, you have the same model and results, is it correct?

Regarding this issue, why does in the model "layered plate" (in the Model Library) it is used the option 1) instead of 2) ?

Thank you very much
Fabio

3 Replies Last Post 2013年3月27日 GMT-4 12:58
Sven Friedel COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年3月26日 GMT-4 09:26
Dear Fabio,

the creation of layers can be done with either option 1) and option 2) and will give in the same result.
I agree, that layers are the more flexible approach - this feature has been added in COMSOL version 4,
whereas the option to draw recatngles individually has been there longer.
So, I encourage you to use the new feature it will probably allow you to define your layers in the most
efficient way.

Best regards,
Sven Friedel
Dear Fabio, the creation of layers can be done with either option 1) and option 2) and will give in the same result. I agree, that layers are the more flexible approach - this feature has been added in COMSOL version 4, whereas the option to draw recatngles individually has been there longer. So, I encourage you to use the new feature it will probably allow you to define your layers in the most efficient way. Best regards, Sven Friedel

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年3月26日 GMT-4 10:57
Dear Sven,

thank you so much for your confirmation. I would just add, for whom might be interested using layers as the option 2) I introduced, that there is the (lower) thickness limit of 2e-6 [m] (=2 microns), at least in Comsol 4.3a (in the 4.3 is higher).

Kind regards
Dear Sven, thank you so much for your confirmation. I would just add, for whom might be interested using layers as the option 2) I introduced, that there is the (lower) thickness limit of 2e-6 [m] (=2 microns), at least in Comsol 4.3a (in the 4.3 is higher). Kind regards

Sven Friedel COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年3月27日 GMT-4 12:58
Hi Fabio,

this seems not an absolute limit but might be a consequence of your particular choice of default repair tolerance and unit for geometry. Seee my attached model taht resolves layers of 0.002 um.

Sven
Hi Fabio, this seems not an absolute limit but might be a consequence of your particular choice of default repair tolerance and unit for geometry. Seee my attached model taht resolves layers of 0.002 um. Sven

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.