Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Physics for a elastomeric vibration isolator.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Good morning.

I'm almost finished with my model.
The model consists in : 1 - Base. ( Base )
2 - Elastomeric Rubber. ( Borracha)
3 - Lid. (Tampa)
4 - Screw Hole.( Parafuso )

The Screw Hole receive the vibration then pushes down ( or up ) the lid. The lid then compresses the rubber part isolating the vibration.

I have so far modeled each part on it's own, including they're meshes. But when I put them on the same model , using ' Insert Sequence from File ' I can't get it to work .
I tried using 'Boundary Conditions' such as - Fixed Constraint; - Rigid Connector ; Boundary Load ; Etc...
What I'm trying to make it work first is that when the Screw Hole goes up and down , it will make the Rubber move as well. But sometimes the Rubber part is deformed INSIDE the Screw Hole.

I'd like to ask for some help here so I can make my model work properly .

Thank you very much .

Victor Soares

4 Replies Last Post 2013年4月3日 GMT-4 10:32
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年3月28日 GMT-4 16:38
Hi

you need to insert them as geometrical objects (first export each as mphbin) and then "move" them into place so you get one model with all 4 parts, correctly in place (exactly overlapping boundaries. You have done great job there as these parts are rather complex w.r.t. use of the limited COMSOL CAM application.

Once you have them all in one model, you can combine the materials, physics and set up your BC and mesh, and solve

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you need to insert them as geometrical objects (first export each as mphbin) and then "move" them into place so you get one model with all 4 parts, correctly in place (exactly overlapping boundaries. You have done great job there as these parts are rather complex w.r.t. use of the limited COMSOL CAM application. Once you have them all in one model, you can combine the materials, physics and set up your BC and mesh, and solve -- Good luck Ivar

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年3月30日 GMT-4 23:46
Hi Victor,

You have to connect the 4 parts to each other appropriately. There are several ways to do that. You can use the union geometry operator (instead of Assembly), or setup identify or contact pairs.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Hi Victor, You have to connect the 4 parts to each other appropriately. There are several ways to do that. You can use the union geometry operator (instead of Assembly), or setup identify or contact pairs. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年4月1日 GMT-4 07:45
Thank you guys very much !

I'll be trying this new methods you told me.

=)
Thank you guys very much ! I'll be trying this new methods you told me. =)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年4月3日 GMT-4 10:32
I'm trying first with the Screw+Rubber+Lid.
This is what I've got so far. The Rubber+Screw and Lid+Scew contact seems to be right, but the Rubber+Lid interaction is wrong. The lid is not pushing/pulling the rubber. Instead it's going trough it.

Any hints ?
I'm trying first with the Screw+Rubber+Lid. This is what I've got so far. The Rubber+Screw and Lid+Scew contact seems to be right, but the Rubber+Lid interaction is wrong. The lid is not pushing/pulling the rubber. Instead it's going trough it. Any hints ?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.