Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Meshing a surface with an interior point

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I need to apply a point force on a point inside a shell surface. For this purpose I draw a point in geometry section. However, because of that point I can't mesh the surface with free quad or mapped. It is giving the error "isolated vertices found".

In some other softwares it is possible to pick nodes from the mesh for this purpose. But I couldn't figure out how to do that in COMSOL.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks
Bugra

1 Reply Last Post 2013年5月2日 GMT-4 16:11
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年5月2日 GMT-4 16:11
Hi

the easiest way around is to cut your surface by two internal boundaries such that the point is at the location of two intersecting boundaries, then the quad mesh should still work and you can pick your "point", but be aware that point loads, in anything else than 1D models are singularities and give rather wrong results in the direct vicinity of the point

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi the easiest way around is to cut your surface by two internal boundaries such that the point is at the location of two intersecting boundaries, then the quad mesh should still work and you can pick your "point", but be aware that point loads, in anything else than 1D models are singularities and give rather wrong results in the direct vicinity of the point -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.