Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Anisotropic refractive index

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm trying to model an "emw" simulation with anisotropic refractive index.

As given, it lets you specify the real and imag parts of the refractive index as a number. I want to specify it as a tensor or other similar notation (such as n_ordinary and n_extraordinary).

Several sites claim COMSOL can do this, e.g.
www.comsol.com/products/4.3b/ - scroll down to "Wave Optics Module" and click "Reveal all topics"
www.michelsencentre.com/doc//PDF%20dokumenter/COMSOL/COMSOL_ACDC_RF_42a.pdf - when discussing RF module it says "Anisotropic materials are supported"

However I can't find any examples of how to do this.

Any ideas?
Thanks

9 Replies Last Post 2016年9月18日 GMT-4 20:05
COMSOL Moderator

Hello David Hutchison

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年12月4日 GMT-5 11:25
Hi, I am also facing the same problem of defining anisotropic refractive index. Have you got any clue how to solve this problem. Please discuss with me.

Regards,

Waqas.
Hi, I am also facing the same problem of defining anisotropic refractive index. Have you got any clue how to solve this problem. Please discuss with me. Regards, Waqas.

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年12月4日 GMT-5 12:28
Unfortunately no, I gave up and moved on with my life. But, perhaps someone else knows.

Waqas, please let me know if you figure it out.

Thanks,
David
Unfortunately no, I gave up and moved on with my life. But, perhaps someone else knows. Waqas, please let me know if you figure it out. Thanks, David

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年12月4日 GMT-5 23:38
I am also trying to do that but it seems tricky. I am trying to find some person who can help me. I will surely let you know.

Thanks

Waqas.
I am also trying to do that but it seems tricky. I am trying to find some person who can help me. I will surely let you know. Thanks Waqas.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年12月6日 GMT-5 05:31
Hi

but in both RF and Wave optics you can define user defined material properties instead of "n" and for
e_r and mu_r as n = sqrt(e_r*mu_r)

And thereunder you have the anisotropy tensor formulation ready.
You have also a set of other common equivalent index of refraction type models ...

at least now in v5.2

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi but in both RF and Wave optics you can define user defined material properties instead of "n" and for e_r and mu_r as n = sqrt(e_r*mu_r) And thereunder you have the anisotropy tensor formulation ready. You have also a set of other common equivalent index of refraction type models ... at least now in v5.2 -- Good luck Ivar

Maxim Electromobility

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年12月10日 GMT-5 14:04
The simple way to define anisotropic refractive index is to use the comsol interface, please take a look at the attachment.
The simple way to define anisotropic refractive index is to use the comsol interface, please take a look at the attachment.

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年12月13日 GMT-5 13:58
Can you please tell me have you used RF or wave optics module? Is this possible in ray optics module?
Can you please tell me have you used RF or wave optics module? Is this possible in ray optics module?

Maxim Electromobility

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年12月15日 GMT-5 05:53
Hi Mahmood,

The screenshot is from RF module, Wave Optics and Ray Optics modules work in the same way.

You might also want to define the anisotropic materials in the local coordinates, as Ivar have mentioned in one of the parallel discussion, if your anisotropy axes do not coincide with the global axes.

Best regards,
Maxim
Hi Mahmood, The screenshot is from RF module, Wave Optics and Ray Optics modules work in the same way. You might also want to define the anisotropic materials in the local coordinates, as Ivar have mentioned in one of the parallel discussion, if your anisotropy axes do not coincide with the global axes. Best regards, Maxim

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年12月15日 GMT-5 14:09
Dear Maxim,

Actually I want to simulate the wave propagation from an isotropic medium to an anisotropic medium. I am interested to see the birefringence in that case, however, I am not successful in doing this. I am afraid if I can do this in comsol or not? Can you suggest something?

Regards,

Waqas.
Dear Maxim, Actually I want to simulate the wave propagation from an isotropic medium to an anisotropic medium. I am interested to see the birefringence in that case, however, I am not successful in doing this. I am afraid if I can do this in comsol or not? Can you suggest something? Regards, Waqas.

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年9月18日 GMT-4 20:05
Hi Maxim,

Thanks for posting this, it's exactly what I need. I'm trying to do this in the material properties but for some reason my version (5.2a) only shows options for isotropic and diagonal, not anisotropic. Did you select any special options to get the aniosotropic option up?

Cheers
Hi Maxim, Thanks for posting this, it's exactly what I need. I'm trying to do this in the material properties but for some reason my version (5.2a) only shows options for isotropic and diagonal, not anisotropic. Did you select any special options to get the aniosotropic option up? Cheers

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.