Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Prescribed mesh displacement in moving mesh models

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi All,

Is there a way of applying a prescribed mesh displacement along an edge or a point in 3D when using the laminar, two-phase flow, moving mesh model - tpfmm (Microfluidics module).

The standard velocity and displacement boundary conditions for the deformed mesh apply only to faces rather than edges or points.

Perhaps some way of using weak constraints to achieve this?

Regards,
Laith

3 Replies Last Post 2013年6月7日 GMT-4 19:33

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年6月5日 GMT-4 21:30
You mean that you want to move an edge and not the face?

How does that work?

You mean that you want to move an edge and not the face? How does that work?

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年6月5日 GMT-4 22:21

You mean that you want to move an edge and not the face?

How does that work?

Hi Vahid,

Perhaps I should have put an example. Think of a cube that is being transformed into a sphere due to area minimisation (and surface tension forces). Now imagine that we fix one of the cube faces... the result is (almost) a sphere with one square boundary. Now image that we only fix 3 edges of that same face and letting the remaining edge deform freely, we end up with (almost) a sphere, with 3 square edges and one circular edge. I want to model this type of scenario.

I'm thinking this should be an added constraint on top of the prescribed mesh displacement for a face, e.g. fix dx=0, dy=dz=free and fix 3 edges of the face to dx=0 (already taken care of) and dy=dz=0.

Cheers,
Laith
[QUOTE] You mean that you want to move an edge and not the face? How does that work? [/QUOTE] Hi Vahid, Perhaps I should have put an example. Think of a cube that is being transformed into a sphere due to area minimisation (and surface tension forces). Now imagine that we fix one of the cube faces... the result is (almost) a sphere with one square boundary. Now image that we only fix 3 edges of that same face and letting the remaining edge deform freely, we end up with (almost) a sphere, with 3 square edges and one circular edge. I want to model this type of scenario. I'm thinking this should be an added constraint on top of the prescribed mesh displacement for a face, e.g. fix dx=0, dy=dz=free and fix 3 edges of the face to dx=0 (already taken care of) and dy=dz=0. Cheers, Laith

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年6月7日 GMT-4 19:33
I see! Interesting weird shape! :)

You might be able to model your system in a better way to avoid such complexity! I dunno what you're trying to model!
Think about your model from outside and see if you can model it in a way that such constraints don't show up!

Good Luck
I see! Interesting weird shape! :) You might be able to model your system in a better way to avoid such complexity! I dunno what you're trying to model! Think about your model from outside and see if you can model it in a way that such constraints don't show up! Good Luck

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.