Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to set up multiple input powers for a single port?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,

I'm new to COMSOL. I got a question that might be quite easy for an experienced user.
Could I enter multiple input powers at a sinlge port in RF module?
For example, I only created a port to let the power go in my simulation domain.
However, there are actually two signals coming from that port and the singals have different power values (e.g. 100 W and 200 W) and even different initial phases (e.g. 0 degree and 90 degree). In other words, I need to enter an array, instead a single value, for the port I created.
I know I can create another port to make that happen. However, that would make my model more complicated, which is something I want to avoid. Thanks for anyone's help in advance.

3 Replies Last Post 2013年7月2日 GMT-4 10:19
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年7月2日 GMT-4 04:53

For two (or more) signals superimposed to one port you could use voltage excitation and add the complex voltages. This lets you control amplitudes and phases. However this doesn't work for power input.

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
For two (or more) signals superimposed to one port you could use voltage excitation and add the complex voltages. This lets you control amplitudes and phases. However this doesn't work for power input. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser http://www.emphys.com

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年7月2日 GMT-4 09:04
Hi Edgar,

Thanks so much for your reply.

If I understand you correctly, what you meant is I could use multiple signal inputs in a single port if I use a "port" allowing me to set input voltage, instead of input power. If that's right, how can I do so? What kind of port or the properties of port should I use? Also, could you give me an example of the synatax, if that's not too much to ask?

Back to my original question, your reply gave me a hint. Let's say, for instance, I have two input powers, both having 1 W. But the initial phase is 0 degree and 90 degree, respectivley. Could I just superpose them and set the input power as 2^0.5 W and the initial phase as 45 degree instead?

Thanks for your kind help again.

Hsin-Liang
Hi Edgar, Thanks so much for your reply. If I understand you correctly, what you meant is I could use multiple signal inputs in a single port if I use a "port" allowing me to set input voltage, instead of input power. If that's right, how can I do so? What kind of port or the properties of port should I use? Also, could you give me an example of the synatax, if that's not too much to ask? Back to my original question, your reply gave me a hint. Let's say, for instance, I have two input powers, both having 1 W. But the initial phase is 0 degree and 90 degree, respectivley. Could I just superpose them and set the input power as 2^0.5 W and the initial phase as 45 degree instead? Thanks for your kind help again. Hsin-Liang

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年7月2日 GMT-4 10:19

I have two input powers, both having 1 W. But the initial phase is 0 degree and 90 degree, respectivley. Could I just superpose them and set the input power as 2^0.5 W and the initial phase as 45 degree instead?

Yes, but wouldn't it be 2 W at 45° then?

It is the lumped ports that allow voltage input, but maybe you can't use them for your application

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
[QUOTE] I have two input powers, both having 1 W. But the initial phase is 0 degree and 90 degree, respectivley. Could I just superpose them and set the input power as 2^0.5 W and the initial phase as 45 degree instead? [/QUOTE] Yes, but wouldn't it be 2 W at 45° then? It is the lumped ports that allow voltage input, but maybe you can't use them for your application -- Edgar J. Kaiser http://www.emphys.com

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.