Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Contact Force

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

Does anyone know how to simulation contact force in COMSOL 4.3a MEMS module? I am trying to simulate a electrostatic actuated MEMS beam which will make a contact with contact electrode when actuated. Is there any way to calculated the contact force between the beam and contact electrode? I could do a similar simulation in Coventor, but highly doubted the results. Not sure if there is any way to do in COMSOL?

Thanks,
Yuhao

4 Replies Last Post 2015年3月4日 GMT-5 02:25
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年7月8日 GMT-4 22:55
Hi Yuhao,

Contact boundary conditions are available in the MEMS module. The output from contact includes the contact pressures. You can integrate that over the contact surface to get the total contact force. Check out the documentation and the examples.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Hi Yuhao, Contact boundary conditions are available in the MEMS module. The output from contact includes the contact pressures. You can integrate that over the contact surface to get the total contact force. Check out the documentation and the examples. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年10月20日 GMT-4 06:32
Hi,Yu Hao.
I am facing a quite similar question with you. As far as I know, the pull-in in Elastically actuated beam is a non-linear process which makes it very difficult to get contact force .Have you worked out the calculation of contact force in MEMS module? Could you tell me how to do it please?
Any help would be appreciated
Hi,Yu Hao. I am facing a quite similar question with you. As far as I know, the pull-in in Elastically actuated beam is a non-linear process which makes it very difficult to get contact force .Have you worked out the calculation of contact force in MEMS module? Could you tell me how to do it please? Any help would be appreciated

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年10月21日 GMT-4 18:05
Dear Senna,

The model you described is I believe hard to get to converge, but once it does getting a contact force by integrating contact pressure over the contact surface should be straightforward. You are more likely to get convergence for this problem if you solve it as a transient problem with damping.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Dear Senna, The model you described is I believe hard to get to converge, but once it does getting a contact force by integrating contact pressure over the contact surface should be straightforward. You are more likely to get convergence for this problem if you solve it as a transient problem with damping. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年3月4日 GMT-5 02:25
I have been playing around to visualize the transport of circular particles through an obstacle array using FSI module COMSOL 4.4. Unfortunately, I am stacked in the middle unable to integrate particle-wall contact force with my solver. Please guide me how to solve it!
Thanks for your consideration!
I have been playing around to visualize the transport of circular particles through an obstacle array using FSI module COMSOL 4.4. Unfortunately, I am stacked in the middle unable to integrate particle-wall contact force with my solver. Please guide me how to solve it! Thanks for your consideration!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.