Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

pb of variable step for solve stiff ODE

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

thank you Mr Ivar

actually, I do not know wellEnglish , why I make my automatic translation.

answering your questions:

I want to solve a system of several equations ODE type stiff , this type of equations, it does not define a constant step, but it turns adaptatif at each new solution.

global equation is not an application itself, but a tool embedded in FEMLAB to help us solve equations of type f (u",u',u) = 0.

my problem is to declare adaptatif step in box of Time-Dependent???

thank you infinitely

1 Reply Last Post 2010年3月16日 GMT-4 03:14
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年3月16日 GMT-4 03:14
Hi Isabelle

Your translation is OK ;)

First my references when I look into these subject is to go back to a couple of books I like, as they are close to COMSOL math notation:

"Introduction to computation and modeling for Differential Equations", by L. Edsberg, Wiley, 2008

And as COMSOL cookbook well written with math references is the:

"Multiphysics Modelling with Finite Element Methods" by B.J. Zimmerman, World-Scientific, 2006

Further, if I understand your well, your issue is in the transient solver settings, it has, at least in my 3.5a, many options, mostly I let COMSOL choose, and even if I say

t=range(min,step,max)

I understand that the solver decides itself upon the steepness of the gradients in the model to select single or multiple intermediate points, but these are not normally stored in my solution vector, unless you define "Time steps from solver", these options are selected in the time stepping sub-tab. I have noticed that solver step mode "free" might skip short duration features, then I impose rather "strict" and ensure my time steps cover well these features, or I use intermediate, then it set at least one more point inbetween my defined time steps. This is rather well described in the user guide (guide.pdf) in the solver section "Time-Dependent" stepping, in the V3.5a

As for me in V3.5a the adaptatif is there by default, but it might be different with femlab if you have an older version

Good luck
Ivar
Hi Isabelle Your translation is OK ;) First my references when I look into these subject is to go back to a couple of books I like, as they are close to COMSOL math notation: "Introduction to computation and modeling for Differential Equations", by L. Edsberg, Wiley, 2008 And as COMSOL cookbook well written with math references is the: "Multiphysics Modelling with Finite Element Methods" by B.J. Zimmerman, World-Scientific, 2006 Further, if I understand your well, your issue is in the transient solver settings, it has, at least in my 3.5a, many options, mostly I let COMSOL choose, and even if I say t=range(min,step,max) I understand that the solver decides itself upon the steepness of the gradients in the model to select single or multiple intermediate points, but these are not normally stored in my solution vector, unless you define "Time steps from solver", these options are selected in the time stepping sub-tab. I have noticed that solver step mode "free" might skip short duration features, then I impose rather "strict" and ensure my time steps cover well these features, or I use intermediate, then it set at least one more point inbetween my defined time steps. This is rather well described in the user guide (guide.pdf) in the solver section "Time-Dependent" stepping, in the V3.5a As for me in V3.5a the adaptatif is there by default, but it might be different with femlab if you have an older version Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.