Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Hardware upgrade: how to compare AMD to Intel?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am looking into upgrading to a High Performance Computing work-station to do mostly computational fluid dynamics computations in COMSOL. Aside from sufficient RAM and appropriate number of processors, the major bottleneck for such computations in COMSOL are the sockets of the processors.

There are two choices for processors: Intel and AMD. Intel Xeon processors interconnect using QPI ( en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_QuickPath_Interconnect ). AMD processors interconnect with HyperTransport ( en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HyperTransport ).

Is there any reliable way I can compare QPI and HyperTransport for a given number of processors (which have the same frequency) just by using what is given to me in the data sheets?

Has anybody here faced a similar decision? Advise is highly appreciated.

0 Replies Last Post 2013年8月13日 GMT-4 02:46
COMSOL Moderator

Hello sebastian

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.