Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to become expert in COMSOL

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi Guys,

I am working on COMSOL 4.3a from last three months but still facing some difficulties to become expert in its use. I am not from Engineering background so don't have any experience about simulation studies before but for my current PhD work I need to do simulations of fixed bed reactor for steam reforming of Methane etc. There are some models available in model libraries & I have already gone through them but they have given only instructions to have practice. They have not mentions about physics behind it or they might have assumed that user is aware about these things. When I am practicing some models there are some errors coming after computing, because of lack of knowledge I can not do anything in it and really feeling very sad. Can anyone suggest me what should I do? some basic books for simulation? from which I understand more about simulations studies? I will be more happy to interact with someone who is working in the same fields like kinetic study of steam & dry reforming reactions or doing simulations of reactions in fixed bed reactors so that I can discuss in much details with him or her.

Thanks & regards,
Lalit

3 Replies Last Post 2013年8月14日 GMT-4 08:11

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年8月14日 GMT-4 06:35
I think some guidance from an expert looking over your sholder ist what you need. If that is not an option for you, I suggest to start with simple problems and increasing the complexity of your models slowly.

I think in the end you will need fluid dynamics and chemistry in your model!? However, this not a good starting point!
Start with heat transport, suctural mechanics - that sort of "simple physics" and maybe simple 2D flow models. That is, in my opinion, the best way to learn modelling skills.
I think some guidance from an expert looking over your sholder ist what you need. If that is not an option for you, I suggest to start with simple problems and increasing the complexity of your models slowly. I think in the end you will need fluid dynamics and chemistry in your model!? However, this not a good starting point! Start with heat transport, suctural mechanics - that sort of "simple physics" and maybe simple 2D flow models. That is, in my opinion, the best way to learn modelling skills.

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年8月14日 GMT-4 07:41
Hi,

I fully support Michael's position. Start with simple models that have analytical solutions and stepwise get to higher compexity.
Understanding the physical and engineering background is absolutely mandatory. Without understanding the underlying physics it will be difficult to assess the validity of a solution. COMSOL can calculate things but the user has to understand the basis of the chosen approach.
I would also recommend to attend some COMSOL training sessions that are offered by the company. The money you spend for it pays back quickly because you save such a lot of time in your work.

Best regards and good success,
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
Hi, I fully support Michael's position. Start with simple models that have analytical solutions and stepwise get to higher compexity. Understanding the physical and engineering background is absolutely mandatory. Without understanding the underlying physics it will be difficult to assess the validity of a solution. COMSOL can calculate things but the user has to understand the basis of the chosen approach. I would also recommend to attend some COMSOL training sessions that are offered by the company. The money you spend for it pays back quickly because you save such a lot of time in your work. Best regards and good success, Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年8月14日 GMT-4 08:11
Thanks Micheal and Edgar for your valuable suggestions.

Lalit
Thanks Micheal and Edgar for your valuable suggestions. Lalit

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.