Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

draw a hollow ( half radius) cylinder

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I would like to draw a hollow ( half radius) cylinder with inner radius 12mm, outer radius 25mm with length 1m. I am using COMSOL 3.5a

Can you tell me how is draw hollow hollow ( half radius) cylinder?

Thank you,

Vinay Patel.

4 Replies Last Post 2013年8月19日 GMT-4 13:38
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年8月18日 GMT-4 22:48
Just follow the instructions below. I assume you are starting with a new (empty) model.
1. Open Comsol Multiphysics 3.5a and select a new 3D model in the model navigator.
2. Choose menu item "Draw," then sub-menu item "Cylinder."
3. Enter 0.025 into the "Radius" input box. (That's 25 mm).
4. Click the "OK" button.
5. Again, choose menu item "Draw," then sub-menu item "Cylinder."
6. Enter 0.012 into the "Radius" input box. (That's 12 mm).
7. Click the "OK" button.
8. Choose menu item "Draw," then sub-menu item "Create Composite Object..."
9. Select both CYL1 and CYL2. This causes "CYL1+CYL2" to appear in the "Set formula" input box. Select the "+" sign with your mouse and type a minus sign instead. Now the "Set formula" box has "CYL1-CYL2" in it. (Alternatively, you could just type "CYL1-CYL2" into that box.)
10. Click the "OK" button.
That's it. You now have a representation of a hollow cylinder, with the geometry that you requested.
Just follow the instructions below. I assume you are starting with a new (empty) model. 1. Open Comsol Multiphysics 3.5a and select a new 3D model in the model navigator. 2. Choose menu item "Draw," then sub-menu item "Cylinder." 3. Enter 0.025 into the "Radius" input box. (That's 25 mm). 4. Click the "OK" button. 5. Again, choose menu item "Draw," then sub-menu item "Cylinder." 6. Enter 0.012 into the "Radius" input box. (That's 12 mm). 7. Click the "OK" button. 8. Choose menu item "Draw," then sub-menu item "Create Composite Object..." 9. Select both CYL1 and CYL2. This causes "CYL1+CYL2" to appear in the "Set formula" input box. Select the "+" sign with your mouse and type a minus sign instead. Now the "Set formula" box has "CYL1-CYL2" in it. (Alternatively, you could just type "CYL1-CYL2" into that box.) 10. Click the "OK" button. That's it. You now have a representation of a hollow cylinder, with the geometry that you requested.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年8月19日 GMT-4 09:00
Thank You Sir for your reply,

I successfully draw a hollow cylinder now.

My second question is, I want to draw half cut section centrally along length hollow cylinder

Whether it is possible to draw? If it is then how to draw a hollow cylinder?

Thanking you,

Vinay Patel.
Thank You Sir for your reply, I successfully draw a hollow cylinder now. My second question is, I want to draw half cut section centrally along length hollow cylinder Whether it is possible to draw? If it is then how to draw a hollow cylinder? Thanking you, Vinay Patel.

Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年8月19日 GMT-4 09:41
It's the same basic idea. You need to combine your hollow cylinder with something that trims away half of it. For example, after you create the hollow cylinder (as described earlier), create a rectangular block that is positioned so that it covers half (along the length, as you say) of the hollow cylinder. Then you can either subtract the block from the hollow cylinder or compute the intersection of the block with the hollow cylinder. You can do both of those types of things with the create composite object function.
It's the same basic idea. You need to combine your hollow cylinder with something that trims away half of it. For example, after you create the hollow cylinder (as described earlier), create a rectangular block that is positioned so that it covers half (along the length, as you say) of the hollow cylinder. Then you can either subtract the block from the hollow cylinder or compute the intersection of the block with the hollow cylinder. You can do both of those types of things with the create composite object function.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年8月19日 GMT-4 13:38
Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your valuable support, suggestion and guidance.

Your faithfully,

Vinay Patel,
Dear Sir, Thank you very much for your valuable support, suggestion and guidance. Your faithfully, Vinay Patel,

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.