Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

a problem with boolean operation Difference

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello!
I'm trying to create a cylindrical hole in a cube. So I built a cube by extrusion from a plane and a cylinder inside this cube by extrusion from a plane. Length of the cylinder is equal to the side of the cube. So when I apply boolean operation Difference, I expect that the cylinder will be subtracted from the cube and I will see a cylindrical opening in the cube. Instead I see that a thin wall (surface) is left on one side of the cube. How do i get rid of this spurious surface?

4 Replies Last Post 2013年11月11日 GMT-5 10:42
Alberto Garcia-Cristobal

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年11月11日 GMT-5 03:17
HI

I have done similar thing to what you did but with out using 'extrusion'. I dont know why you choose to start from plane (2D) then to construct the 3D (cube and cylinder) while you can 'directly', with out 'extrusion', draw both the 3D cylinder and cube. Then apply the subtraction of cylinder from the cube. I am sure this will work.

Thanks,
HI I have done similar thing to what you did but with out using 'extrusion'. I dont know why you choose to start from plane (2D) then to construct the 3D (cube and cylinder) while you can 'directly', with out 'extrusion', draw both the 3D cylinder and cube. Then apply the subtraction of cylinder from the cube. I am sure this will work. Thanks,

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年11月11日 GMT-5 09:01
Here I described a simplified situation. My actual geometry is more complex - have a number of prisms which go through the cube in 3 orthogonal directions. So it is easier for me to draw first all these prisms in 2d and then extrude them.
Here I described a simplified situation. My actual geometry is more complex - have a number of prisms which go through the cube in 3 orthogonal directions. So it is easier for me to draw first all these prisms in 2d and then extrude them.

Alberto Garcia-Cristobal

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年11月11日 GMT-5 10:34
OK

Make sure the 2D plane you started with for extrusion is added in the Boolean operation. May be you added only the extruded geometry !
OK Make sure the 2D plane you started with for extrusion is added in the Boolean operation. May be you added only the extruded geometry !

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年11月11日 GMT-5 10:42
Alberto thank you!

Unchecking "Keep cross-sectional faces" for each extrusion solved my problem!
Alberto thank you! Unchecking "Keep cross-sectional faces" for each extrusion solved my problem!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.