Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Using symmetry with PML in RF Module

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

My question is about possibility to utilize a symmetry in cases like in dipole antenna. The example model of halfwave dipole antenna from COMSOL models it without taking any symmetry into account, and I wonder why is it so?

I have tried to model only a half of the dipole from the example applying Perfect Magnetic Conductor boundary condition on the plane of the symmetry. But the radiation pattern is not correct so I must be missing something. Does PML should be modified or set up to allow the symmetry?

Regards,
Bartek Chaber

3 Replies Last Post 2014年2月11日 GMT-5 10:12
Sergei Yushanov Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年2月10日 GMT-5 08:04
Bartek,

PMC is an appropriate boundary condition to account for symmetry plane. To get correct radiation pattern with symmetry plane, you need to impose the same symmetry boundary condition for the Far-Field Calculation: under Far-Field Domain>Far-Field Calculation node, check Symmetry in E (PMC) box and choose appropriate plane.

Attached is model for the dipole antenna with symmetry plane and comparison with analytical solution.

Best regards,
Sergei
Bartek, PMC is an appropriate boundary condition to account for symmetry plane. To get correct radiation pattern with symmetry plane, you need to impose the same symmetry boundary condition for the Far-Field Calculation: under Far-Field Domain>Far-Field Calculation node, check Symmetry in E (PMC) box and choose appropriate plane. Attached is model for the dipole antenna with symmetry plane and comparison with analytical solution. Best regards, Sergei

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年2月10日 GMT-5 17:54
Thank you very much Sergei!

I've downloaded your model, but I'm unable to open it because my version of COMSOL is too old, apparently. But I see your point and I've tried this approach.

Right now I'm plotting the E/H ratio on the surface with PMC applied and I see a different results than in the original, full model. Maybe there is no point in plotting it using this surface?

Best,
Bartek
Thank you very much Sergei! I've downloaded your model, but I'm unable to open it because my version of COMSOL is too old, apparently. But I see your point and I've tried this approach. Right now I'm plotting the E/H ratio on the surface with PMC applied and I see a different results than in the original, full model. Maybe there is no point in plotting it using this surface? Best, Bartek

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年2月11日 GMT-5 10:12
I've tried to recreate a dipole model with symmetry. To confirm that it is correct I've used E/H relation.
You can see the results attached. It can be seen that while the full model conforms the theory that a dipole should have stronger electric field in the near field which will reach a minimum and then increase towards the impedance of free space. I'm not sure how to interpret the results from the model with a symmetry.

If you want I can provide you with Java files with the simulations.

Best,
Bartek Chaber
I've tried to recreate a dipole model with symmetry. To confirm that it is correct I've used E/H relation. You can see the results attached. It can be seen that while the full model conforms the theory that a dipole should have stronger electric field in the near field which will reach a minimum and then increase towards the impedance of free space. I'm not sure how to interpret the results from the model with a symmetry. If you want I can provide you with Java files with the simulations. Best, Bartek Chaber

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.