Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

electric field intensity and equipotential surfaces

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I just started using Comsol. Can anyone help me, please? I want to compute the electric field intensity and plot the equipotential surfaces produced by two cylindrical conductors of radius “r” installed horizontally and separated a distance “d”. The upper one has a potential of +V and the lower -V.

3 Replies Last Post 2014年2月20日 GMT-5 10:24
Sergei Yushanov Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年2月13日 GMT-5 08:57
Akim,

Attached is model of two cylindrical conductors with plot of electrical field and equipotential surfaces.

Best regards,
Sergei
Akim, Attached is model of two cylindrical conductors with plot of electrical field and equipotential surfaces. Best regards, Sergei

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年2月18日 GMT-5 18:15
Thank you for your response, Sergei! I could not figure out why there are two bigger circles, why you entered only one voltage, I mean I see only one V which is 1.0 V. Also could you please write down steps to simulate electric fields and equipotential surfaces so that I could simulate with different conductor shapes, conditions, etc.?
Thank you!

Sincerely,
Akim
Thank you for your response, Sergei! I could not figure out why there are two bigger circles, why you entered only one voltage, I mean I see only one V which is 1.0 V. Also could you please write down steps to simulate electric fields and equipotential surfaces so that I could simulate with different conductor shapes, conditions, etc.? Thank you! Sincerely, Akim

Sergei Yushanov Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年2月20日 GMT-5 10:24
Akim,

One big circle is for air domain, and outer layer in Circle 3 is Infinite Element Domain which is defined under Component 1/Definitions.

You can read about Infinite Elements in the documentation Comsol Multiphysics/Reference Manual/Infinite Element Domains and PML, p. 294.

There are two nodes for electric potential: Electric Potential 1 node sets voltage +V0 on the left cylinder, and node Electric Potential 2 node sets voltage –V0 on the right cylindrical conductor.

There are several examples in the Comsol model library with step by step instructions on how to set up this type of problem.

Regards,
Sergei
Akim, One big circle is for air domain, and outer layer in Circle 3 is Infinite Element Domain which is defined under Component 1/Definitions. You can read about Infinite Elements in the documentation Comsol Multiphysics/Reference Manual/Infinite Element Domains and PML, p. 294. There are two nodes for electric potential: Electric Potential 1 node sets voltage +V0 on the left cylinder, and node Electric Potential 2 node sets voltage –V0 on the right cylindrical conductor. There are several examples in the Comsol model library with step by step instructions on how to set up this type of problem. Regards, Sergei

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.