Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Suggestion: Membrane Vibration Simulation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am planning to build a simulation which is about the thin ( 30~50 nm) membrane mechanical vibration due to the electromagnetic radiation pressure (EM force on the membrane surfaces). I am just learning COMSOL Multiphysics 4.3b. I hope some of you recommend me a suitable module for my system. I have planned to use electromechanics(emi), however, it seems to hard to generate EM (TEM) field with this module. I hope someone will suggest me a useful module, thank you.

Abdu

2 Replies Last Post 2014年3月31日 GMT-4 13:02
Cesare Tozzo COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年3月31日 GMT-4 05:41
Hi Abdu
as I started explaining from support, COMSOL can couple Electromagnetics and Deformable structure in many possible ways depending on the kind of coupling.

If the electrical part is nearly static the "electromechanics(emi)" interface is perfect (there you use a V formulation - it is a very common approach in capacitative actuator MEMS - one reference among the many available www.comsol.com/model/biased-resonator-models-3d-11748 ). If you would like to see low frequency (rule of thumb: wavelenght of the EM wave, c_const/freq, much longer than the system) a similar approach may still be proficuously used.

On the other hand, if you ask about coupling EM wave propagation to deformable structure, you need different electromagnetic formulations which can simulate EM wave (a V formulation cannot describe a propagating field); those formulation are present in RF Module or Wave Optics Module of COMSOL and can be coupled with deformable structure (one reference among the several available www.comsol.com/model/electromagnetic-and-structural-analysis-of-a-microwave-filter-on-a-pcb-4461 ).

Finally I would strongly suggest to update to most recent 4.4 version.

I wait for you feedback from the support channel.

Cesare
Hi Abdu as I started explaining from support, COMSOL can couple Electromagnetics and Deformable structure in many possible ways depending on the kind of coupling. If the electrical part is nearly static the "electromechanics(emi)" interface is perfect (there you use a V formulation - it is a very common approach in capacitative actuator MEMS - one reference among the many available http://www.comsol.com/model/biased-resonator-models-3d-11748 ). If you would like to see low frequency (rule of thumb: wavelenght of the EM wave, c_const/freq, much longer than the system) a similar approach may still be proficuously used. On the other hand, if you ask about coupling EM wave propagation to deformable structure, you need different electromagnetic formulations which can simulate EM wave (a V formulation cannot describe a propagating field); those formulation are present in RF Module or Wave Optics Module of COMSOL and can be coupled with deformable structure (one reference among the several available http://www.comsol.com/model/electromagnetic-and-structural-analysis-of-a-microwave-filter-on-a-pcb-4461 ). Finally I would strongly suggest to update to most recent 4.4 version. I wait for you feedback from the support channel. Cesare

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年3月31日 GMT-4 13:02
Grazie a te Dr. Cesare!!

I understand what you mean to some extent. I will try to understand those example simulations and will try to with my best first. If I come across difficult errors, then I will contact with you.

ciao e buona giornata !!

Abdu
Grazie a te Dr. Cesare!! I understand what you mean to some extent. I will try to understand those example simulations and will try to with my best first. If I come across difficult errors, then I will contact with you. ciao e buona giornata !! Abdu

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.