Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Fluid-Structure Interaction will Not Converge

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to solve a fairly straight-forward (or so I thought) 2-dimensional fluid-structure interaction problem. The file is attached to this post.

Every time the model attempts to solve, the solution does not converge and there are warning of inverted elements. I have tried refining the mesh and changing mesh parameters, but no luck. I am now thinking that it is a setup problem, but I am unable to locate the problem.

If anyone has any suggestions, they will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

3 Replies Last Post 2010年4月6日 GMT-4 12:03

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年4月6日 GMT-4 03:06
Are you aware that you are solving for a Reynolds number of 10^7? In that case, you need very special treatment of flow in Comsol, if possible at all to simulate with reasonable mesh size.
Are you aware that you are solving for a Reynolds number of 10^7? In that case, you need very special treatment of flow in Comsol, if possible at all to simulate with reasonable mesh size.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年4月6日 GMT-4 10:48
Thanks, Danial. Thanks for pointing that out. As you might have surmised, reducing the inlet velocity was able to have the model converge. Thanks
Thanks, Danial. Thanks for pointing that out. As you might have surmised, reducing the inlet velocity was able to have the model converge. Thanks

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年4月6日 GMT-4 12:03
You're welcome.

You're welcome.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.