Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Definition of some parameters in Joule heating module

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi guys,
I am working on a simple geometry to simulate it with Joule heating module. While I am looking through equations in this module, I cann't find description of some of them. I appreciate if someone may help my about them:
1- Under Joule heating model for domains, what is Q_j (and its difference with Q) and J_e and also epsilon_0?
2- Under boundary electromagnetic heat source, what is Q_sh and since we have another boundary condition for electric field such as electric insulation, why we need boundary electromagnetic heat source?
I am sorry if the question looks awkward, but I really need to know what is going on within the fundamental equations of simulation.
Thanks a lot.

3 Replies Last Post 2014年9月3日 GMT-4 01:20

Posted: 10 years ago 2014年8月29日 GMT-4 13:47
I am also curious about this question and hope it receives a reply.

I'm not specifically interested in the Joule heating module at the moment, but rather where to find better documentation of the equations used or conditions imposed by each node in the physics tree. The COMSOL documentation is often sparse. The advanced equation viewer within COMSOL provides more information, but is a headache to decipher without a reference of some sort for the variable names.
I am also curious about this question and hope it receives a reply. I'm not specifically interested in the Joule heating module at the moment, but rather where to find better documentation of the equations used or conditions imposed by each node in the physics tree. The COMSOL documentation is often sparse. The advanced equation viewer within COMSOL provides more information, but is a headache to decipher without a reference of some sort for the variable names.

Posted: 10 years ago 2014年8月31日 GMT-4 01:24
Hi Mohsen,

1. Qj is a distributed current source, see the screenshot with a definition.
2. Je is an external current density, see the screenshot with a definition.
3. Maybe "epsilon_0" is actually "epsilon0_const" - permittivity of vacuum?
4. Compare the definitions of "boundary electromagnetic heat source" and "electric insulation" in the attached screenshots.

Best Regards,
Dima.

--
Dima Apter
www.a2z-consulting.com
Hi Mohsen, 1. Qj is a distributed current source, see the screenshot with a definition. 2. Je is an external current density, see the screenshot with a definition. 3. Maybe "epsilon_0" is actually "epsilon0_const" - permittivity of vacuum? 4. Compare the definitions of "boundary electromagnetic heat source" and "electric insulation" in the attached screenshots. Best Regards, Dima. -- Dima Apter www.a2z-consulting.com

Posted: 10 years ago 2014年9月3日 GMT-4 01:20
Thanks a lot Dima
Thanks a lot Dima

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.