Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

2D-axis symmetry, 3D no symmetry not possible to calculate due to limited fixed points

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I have a situation were I need to simulate a kind of tube with a pressure inside, the target is to calculate the displacement of the tube due to the pressure. Reinforcements are needed and these will be evaluated.

In the case of a round tube we can work with a 2D-axis symmetry study and put a boundary load on the inside of the tube and use 1 roller on the bottom, this is calculating fast and accurate.

Now I want to this in 3D (because my final tube is a none axis-symmetric shape (round rectangular)).
But in the 3D version I can not work without a fixed constraint or with too many rollers.

In fact this is the same just that the 3D version is not thinking that the applied force is completely symmetric.
I tried with splitting the rectangular tube in 2 and work with a symmetry but that did not work out neither.

Any suggestions on how to deal with this kind of problems?

Kind regards
Hans

0 Replies Last Post 2014年9月17日 GMT-4 02:38
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Hans Parmentier

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.