Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

electroosmotic switching

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am a couple weeks new to COMSOL, so please do not take for granted that I know even the basics.

Now I am trying to model electroosmotic flow in a Y/T-channel. I have been able to model flow, but I have failed to produce a model for switching the flow back and forth from one side of the Y/T-channel to the other as a function of time. For this I need to alternate the potentials on the two inlets between some value, say 100V, and floating. I found a couple other posts (linked below) with this same question but no solution was found. Has anyone been able to find a solution?

www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/39614/
www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/623/

1 Reply Last Post 2014年9月24日 GMT-4 14:36

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 10 years ago 2014年9月24日 GMT-4 14:36
I have spent a full day on this problem since my last post, but have failed to make any progress. I would like to restate the problem for clarity and then discuss a possible workaround.

Problem: I need to set a boundary condition such that for example at time (t) t = t0 the boundary has electrical potential value V1, at t = t1 the boundary has a value V2, and at t=t3 a value V3 and so on. Here V1, V2, V3, etc. can be some specified voltage, ground, or floating. The main issue is I can’t figure out how to transition the boundary between floating and not floating.

Possible workaround: I can solve a model that produces EO flow on one side of the Y/T-channel and use the calculated velocity in a separate model. In a second model (different .mph file) everything is the same except I do not have EO flow (no electric current physics). Instead the inlet has a velocity boundary condition (in the first model I use pressure, no viscous stress with 0 pressure), and I use a Heaviside function to switch the flow on and off at that inlet using something like (2e-5)*flsmhs(t-2000,0.1) in the velocity field. Other than not being a very good work around, I get “Nonlinear solver did not converge” error in segregated group 2 at time: 0. There are several post on problems with Heaviside functions in COMSOL, but I have not come across a solution that works for me yet.

I would love to hear any solution to transitioning a boundary between floating and not floating, a better work around than what I have proposed, or a possible reason why my workaround is failing to converge.
I have spent a full day on this problem since my last post, but have failed to make any progress. I would like to restate the problem for clarity and then discuss a possible workaround. Problem: I need to set a boundary condition such that for example at time (t) t = t0 the boundary has electrical potential value V1, at t = t1 the boundary has a value V2, and at t=t3 a value V3 and so on. Here V1, V2, V3, etc. can be some specified voltage, ground, or floating. The main issue is I can’t figure out how to transition the boundary between floating and not floating. Possible workaround: I can solve a model that produces EO flow on one side of the Y/T-channel and use the calculated velocity in a separate model. In a second model (different .mph file) everything is the same except I do not have EO flow (no electric current physics). Instead the inlet has a velocity boundary condition (in the first model I use pressure, no viscous stress with 0 pressure), and I use a Heaviside function to switch the flow on and off at that inlet using something like (2e-5)*flsmhs(t-2000,0.1) in the velocity field. Other than not being a very good work around, I get “Nonlinear solver did not converge” error in segregated group 2 at time: 0. There are several post on problems with Heaviside functions in COMSOL, but I have not come across a solution that works for me yet. I would love to hear any solution to transitioning a boundary between floating and not floating, a better work around than what I have proposed, or a possible reason why my workaround is failing to converge.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.