Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Moving heat plate comes in contact with surface

Louis-Daniel Théroux

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I have a model using the Heat Transfer module and the Deformed Geometry module. I have a heating plate at a fixed temperature and a long sheet initially at ambient temperature. Both entities are initially separated. The plate moves at a constant speed and comes in contact with the sheet. According to the geometry of my model and the trajectory of the heating plate, both entities should come in contact (they should just brush against each other).

When solving the model, even tough the plate clearly comes in contact with the sheet, it doesn't heat it.

What should I do so the plate heat the sheet as it moves along?

Thank you.

1 Reply Last Post 2014年10月1日 GMT-4 08:13
Sergei Yushanov Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 10 years ago 2014年10月1日 GMT-4 08:13
Louis-Daniel,

There is “Thermal Contact” boundary condition available in Heat Transfer module. This feature can be used to model heat transfer between parts that come in contact.
Thermal contact modeling is demonstrated in the following example from the Model Library:

www.comsol.com/model/download/185507/models.heat.contact_switch.pdf

Regards,
Sergei
Louis-Daniel, There is “Thermal Contact” boundary condition available in Heat Transfer module. This feature can be used to model heat transfer between parts that come in contact. Thermal contact modeling is demonstrated in the following example from the Model Library: http://www.comsol.com/model/download/185507/models.heat.contact_switch.pdf Regards, Sergei

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.