Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Fine Tuning Time Steps for a Time-Dependent Study

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

For my microstructure, I am trying to get the temperature vs. time plot for a specific point when a periodic boundary condition (rectangular electric current pulses) is applied. I am using Joule Heating Module and have already performed steady state studies.

Some information about the current signal:

on time: 1 ms
off time: 3 ms (i.e. periode is 4 ms)
Number of pulses: can be as high as 1 million

As for my understanding, one needs to first smoothen the rechangular pulse (which I did) and also use Strict or Intermediate time steps (which I also did).

Now, to get a good calculation (convergence) I need to define as many points as possible (necessary) at the signal up/down slopes. Since I have many pulses I thought it would be great if one could place these time points denser on the slopes and less dense for the on/off steps.

Is there a way to achieve this? Or another alternative?

Thanks,

Bartu

0 Replies Last Post 2014年10月31日 GMT-4 05:48
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Bartu Avci

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.