Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Couple two transient studies: Using transient flow field in transport simulation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear Comsol users,

it would be very kind if someone could help me (I spent several hours trying to find a solution).
I want to use the results of study 1 (time-dependent flow field) in study 2 (time-dependent transport of diluted species).
Coupling via "Values of Variables not solved for" does not work, in my opinion it's only possible to use specific point in times or a stationary solution. Since my flow field changes in time, this is not an option (if I use "t" as an "interpolated" Time, I get the message " Unknown model parameter").

I don't want to solve flow and transport simultaneously because I want to "play" with the transport. And solving the flow field takes quite a while (>2d), while transport converges quite fast.

I found this topic and Ivar refers to an even older post - but I couldn't find it (i searched quite some time).
www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/34108/

Thank you very much!
Florian

2 Replies Last Post 2017年6月2日 GMT-4 03:30
COMSOL Moderator

Hello florian

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年2月14日 GMT-5 12:31
This is a rather old thread, but I thought I'd post a model I just built that illustrates how to set this up. It may be useful to someone in the future.
Compare study 1 and study 2: one computes both physics in one study step, the other uses a single study step.
Best,
Jeff
This is a rather old thread, but I thought I'd post a model I just built that illustrates how to set this up. It may be useful to someone in the future. Compare study 1 and study 2: one computes both physics in one study step, the other uses a single study step. Best, Jeff

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年6月2日 GMT-4 03:30

This is a rather old thread, but I thought I'd post a model I just built that illustrates how to set this up. It may be useful to someone in the future.
Compare study 1 and study 2: one computes both physics in one study step, the other uses a single study step.
Best,
Jeff

excuse me, I am very appreciated to it that you offer me a solution to use on step`s result to another step.
But I wonder that how to insert the result of first step into second result circularly. Following are details.

I study MHD.The rectangle pulse has a frequency of 0.5ms, and I want to use a period result and insert it into CFD module to calculate 2s. If I follow your advise, I need to calculate EM module 2s and then calculate CFD 2s. Now, I want to calculate EM 0.5ms, and then calculate CFD 2s, which results from the EM module can be sent into CFD module every 0.5ms.

what can i do??
Thank you!
[QUOTE] This is a rather old thread, but I thought I'd post a model I just built that illustrates how to set this up. It may be useful to someone in the future. Compare study 1 and study 2: one computes both physics in one study step, the other uses a single study step. Best, Jeff [/QUOTE] excuse me, I am very appreciated to it that you offer me a solution to use on step`s result to another step. But I wonder that how to insert the result of first step into second result circularly. Following are details. I study MHD.The rectangle pulse has a frequency of 0.5ms, and I want to use a period result and insert it into CFD module to calculate 2s. If I follow your advise, I need to calculate EM module 2s and then calculate CFD 2s. Now, I want to calculate EM 0.5ms, and then calculate CFD 2s, which results from the EM module can be sent into CFD module every 0.5ms. what can i do?? Thank you!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.