Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Applying magnetic gradients along domain boundaries

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

It seems the only way one generates magnetic gradients is to either use permanent magnets or use the magnetic field generated by magnetizable objects (iron) and placed in constant magnetic field (generally applied to boundaries of the domain where these objects are placed).

Is it possible to generate magnetic gradients along the boundaries of the domain or in a sub-domain?

Also, it seems if one writes H_specified*(y/L), where H_specified is a known value and L is the domain length, for the y component in magnetic field option for all the boundaries of the domain, one obtains a variation in magnetic field, however when one applies the same thought for x-component i.e. H_specified*(x/L) for x component, it fails.

Any suggestions/ideas to generate magnetic gradients without external objects will be very helpful

Thanks!
Asha

11 Replies Last Post 2010年4月30日 GMT-4 16:29
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年4月29日 GMT-4 04:48
Hi

when I set up a subdomain condition B = mu_zero*H+mu_zero*M and define a M as (MMx*x, MMy*y) I can setup a gradient at will, is it that you want ?

OK for a boudary, its the same (in x and y)

Have fun Comsoling
Ivar
Hi when I set up a subdomain condition B = mu_zero*H+mu_zero*M and define a M as (MMx*x, MMy*y) I can setup a gradient at will, is it that you want ? OK for a boudary, its the same (in x and y) Have fun Comsoling Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年4月29日 GMT-4 10:28
Thanks Ivar. It works perfectly. However I did notice that if I wanted a linear gradient in x and y directions I required placing MMy*y in the x component space and MMx*x in the y component of subdomain M. But yes it works!!
Thanks again.
Thanks Ivar. It works perfectly. However I did notice that if I wanted a linear gradient in x and y directions I required placing MMy*y in the x component space and MMx*x in the y component of subdomain M. But yes it works!! Thanks again.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年4月30日 GMT-4 16:16
I wish to see how the particle trajectory around an obstacle varies in the presence of an externally imposed magnetic flux. I am solving the attached model in a step by step fashion. I am solving the magnetic field using magnetostatic module and following it with a
NS module which has additional force per volume terms as defined in the subdomain forces.

The solution is not converging. Could you please tell me the reason for it.
I wish to see how the particle trajectory around an obstacle varies in the presence of an externally imposed magnetic flux. I am solving the attached model in a step by step fashion. I am solving the magnetic field using magnetostatic module and following it with a NS module which has additional force per volume terms as defined in the subdomain forces. The solution is not converging. Could you please tell me the reason for it.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年4月30日 GMT-4 16:18
I wish to see how the particle trajectory around an obstacle varies in the presence of an externally imposed magnetic flux. I am solving the attached model in a step by step fashion. I am solving the magnetic field using magnetostatic module and following it with a
NS module which has additional force per volume terms as defined in the subdomain forces.

I wish to see how the particle trajectory around an obstacle varies in the presence of an externally imposed magnetic flux. I am solving the attached model in a step by step fashion. I am solving the magnetic field using magnetostatic module and following it with a NS module which has additional force per volume terms as defined in the subdomain forces. The solution is not converging. Could you please tell me the reason for it.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年4月30日 GMT-4 16:25

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年4月30日 GMT-4 16:27

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年4月30日 GMT-4 16:27

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年4月30日 GMT-4 16:29

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.