Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Help with Electromagnetic/Strain coupling

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I'm trying to couple an electric force with strain.

I have a two conductor model MEMS model, such that the conductors start off parallel.

The model is 3D with conductors that look like flat boards.
The top conductor is clamped at two edges, while the bottom conductor is completely fixed in space.

What I'm trying to do is apply a voltage to the top conductor so that an E field is created between the two conductors, therefor instigating a force which pulls or curves the top conductor downward in a deformed shape. I wish to couple this electric force with the structural strain of the top conductor material, in which I've chosen to be platinum.

So I uploaded the two applets: 1) electromagnetic and 2) Structural Mechanics/Strain, and I wish to reach an equilibrium position where the curved, deformed top conductor finally comes to rest. As the conductor curves, the E field changes, which in turn produces a different force, which in turn produces a different load on the conductor which will give it a different equilibrium position. After so many iterations, the program should reach an equilibrium, resting position.

How do I do this? I'm having a hard time figuring out how to couple E&M with Struct Mech/Strain.
Any advice on this particular issue, or general advice on coupling these two applications?

Thank you very much for your help,
Kevin.

0 Replies Last Post 2010年4月30日 GMT-4 23:27
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Kevin Myhro

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.