Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Motion of a Deformable Solid in a Fluid

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi there,

I want to study the motion of a deformable solid in a fluid; the red blood cell's motion in a capillary. I don't know if COMSOL is a good choice for this kind of problem. I would be grateful if anyone could please help me.

In addition, for the very first step, I want to study a very simple case; something like motion of a rigid sphere (circle) in a cylinder (2D channel).

Then, I'll try to add the elasticity of the cell, which does not seem to be easy!

Any suggestion, reference, tutorial, or sample, is appreciated!

Thanks

1 Reply Last Post 2015年1月12日 GMT-5 09:11
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 10 years ago 2015年1月12日 GMT-5 09:11
It is certainly doable in COMSOL (both with flexible or rigid solids). Sorry I can’t share any model with you that would be helpful and as far as I know there are no similar examples that you can download. The tricky parts are preventing the fluid mesh from failing when there is large solid motion, and convergence. To help with convergence I suggest adding some weak springs on the body to provide a small resistance to rigid body motion. All I recommend using a fully coupled direct solver.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
It is certainly doable in COMSOL (both with flexible or rigid solids). Sorry I can’t share any model with you that would be helpful and as far as I know there are no similar examples that you can download. The tricky parts are preventing the fluid mesh from failing when there is large solid motion, and convergence. To help with convergence I suggest adding some weak springs on the body to provide a small resistance to rigid body motion. All I recommend using a fully coupled direct solver. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.