Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Random geometry generation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello friends,

I have a general question but I would formulate it from a particular problem. I want to simulate the fall of droplets of a liquid metal through a layer of another liquid metal; the two are immiscible with the droplets density higher than that of the surrounding metal.

It seems that the most appropriate module to use is Laminar Two-Phase Flow Level Set (tpf), because the Mixture Module (mm) does not offer the possibility to work with droplets of different sizes simultaneously; I mean one can generate a variable diameter for the dispersed phase droplets in time but how to distinguish their dynamics when the only information is in phid which is unique. True?

But the Laminar Two-Phase Flow Level Set (tpf) requires the introduction of a drop as a geometric primitive. This is fine for testing the model but if I want to generate a large number of drops with various values for diameter, initial velocity and position as a function of time, is there a way to feed in such a changeable geometry? I see three ways:

1) Use randomizing functions in the Geometry node with the functions defined within the Comsol file. Did anyone use this option?
2) Feed the drops as geometric primitives generated externally, making Comsol pick them up from a file. Is this possible? How can we make Comsol read a file?
3) Since the .mph file is a Java file, can one call specially designed Java classes, where the randomization functions and geometry primitives could be written?

Please let me know, if anyone encountered similar issues!
Thanks a lot!

Cristian

0 Replies Last Post 2015年1月25日 GMT-5 17:29
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Cristian Bontoiu

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.