Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Mesh the volume between two mapped surfaces

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,
Is there any way to generate volume elements between two mapped surfaces? Please, find the minimal simulation file attached.

In the end I would like to have one domain (the inner block) meshed with cubes, and it should be connected with prism/pyramid elements to the triangular boundary of the outer block.

I've tried to make both surfaces (of the outer and inner block) mapped surfaces with the same distribution of elements and then sweep between them. No luck.

On the other hand I can convert both mapped surfaces to triangular meshes and then generate Free Tetrahedrals between them, but this is NOT what I want, because the inner block ends up with 5 as many elements as it could.

Any ideas appreciated.

Best regards,
Bartek Chaber

4 Replies Last Post 2015年3月5日 GMT-5 13:44

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年3月5日 GMT-5 06:21
I still don't know how to do it, but I'm pretty sure it is feasible. I'm interested in the kind of mesh that is presented in the picture attached to this reply. You can see that the outer elements are tetrahedrons (blue), the inner elements are hexahedrons (green) and the interface between them is made out of pyramids (red).

I made this mesh by meshing all sides of a block with Mapped. Then I've Swept the mesh inside and converted the boundary of the volume with Convert (adding a diagonal). Unfortunately, I can't control the volume of the inner hexahedrons... or can I?
I still don't know how to do it, but I'm pretty sure it is feasible. I'm interested in the kind of mesh that is presented in the picture attached to this reply. You can see that the outer elements are tetrahedrons (blue), the inner elements are hexahedrons (green) and the interface between them is made out of pyramids (red). I made this mesh by meshing all sides of a block with Mapped. Then I've Swept the mesh inside and converted the boundary of the volume with Convert (adding a diagonal). Unfortunately, I can't control the volume of the inner hexahedrons... or can I?

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年3月5日 GMT-5 08:20
Hello Bartek,
If I understand correctly what you're after, you could divide the regions between the inner cube and outer cube into 6 truncated pyramids and sweep mesh them.
I hope this helps.
Jeff
Hello Bartek, If I understand correctly what you're after, you could divide the regions between the inner cube and outer cube into 6 truncated pyramids and sweep mesh them. I hope this helps. Jeff

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年3月5日 GMT-5 11:21
Hello Jeff,
Thanks for the answer,

If I understand correctly what you're after, you could divide the regions between the inner cube and outer cube into 6 truncated pyramids and sweep mesh them.
I hope this helps.
Jeff

Do you mean adding the truncated pyramids in Geometry?

Bartek
Hello Jeff, Thanks for the answer, [QUOTE] If I understand correctly what you're after, you could divide the regions between the inner cube and outer cube into 6 truncated pyramids and sweep mesh them. I hope this helps. Jeff [/QUOTE] Do you mean adding the truncated pyramids in Geometry? Bartek

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年3月5日 GMT-5 13:44
Yes.
Yes.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.