Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Current due to induced charges in frequency study

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I'm trying to find the currents (and resistive heating) in a metal object (e.g. a sphere) placed between a capacitor's plates, which has an AC current running through. The environment should be vacuum (i.e. conduction = 0).

As electric field induces a charge distribution in the studied object, an oscillating E field should induce a changing charge distribution, i.e. currents.

I tried to model this with the electric currents physic, but without specifying a potential in the object, the solution won't converge. I could use a floating potential BC on the objec's surface, but in that case I would have to leave out the insides of the object and I wouldn't get to study the currents inside it.

Any ideas how to solve this?

I also attached the model I currently tried; don't mind the magnetic field interface (Eventually I would like to couple that in also, but not right now.)

5 Replies Last Post 2015年3月26日 GMT-4 17:15
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年3月23日 GMT-4 09:27

Jan,

I would recommend using a direct solver instead of the iterative one. Then ec needs some small conductivity everywhere, also in the vacuum. You have to try how small you can go.

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Jan, I would recommend using a direct solver instead of the iterative one. Then ec needs some small conductivity everywhere, also in the vacuum. You have to try how small you can go. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年3月23日 GMT-4 11:20
Thanks for the reply, Edgar.

When I give the air/vacuum a small conductivity, there will be current going through it and then the vacuum will have resistive heating (much higher than the metal parts) which isn't physically correct. And as that is what I want to study, I feel like this isn't the best solution.
Thanks for the reply, Edgar. When I give the air/vacuum a small conductivity, there will be current going through it and then the vacuum will have resistive heating (much higher than the metal parts) which isn't physically correct. And as that is what I want to study, I feel like this isn't the best solution.

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年3月23日 GMT-4 11:53

You don't need to couple the heat production in the air domain into the thermal part of the model.
--
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
You don't need to couple the heat production in the air domain into the thermal part of the model. -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年3月26日 GMT-4 13:57
I've been thinking about this and your idea doesn't work.

When I want to find magnetic fields due to the currents I will need to input the ec physic currents as external currents to magnetic fields physic. I can not do that when the nonphysical current is running through the air/vacuum. (I need only the displacement current from vacuum and the total current in the metal parts.)
I've been thinking about this and your idea doesn't work. When I want to find magnetic fields due to the currents I will need to input the ec physic currents as external currents to magnetic fields physic. I can not do that when the nonphysical current is running through the air/vacuum. (I need only the displacement current from vacuum and the total current in the metal parts.)

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年3月26日 GMT-4 17:15
Couldn't you just couple the displacement currents from ec into mf for the air domain and the total current for the metal domains?

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
Couldn't you just couple the displacement currents from ec into mf for the air domain and the total current for the metal domains? -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.