Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Electric and Magnetic Field in a void of a Three Phase PILC Cable Plots

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am trying to generate plots for the electric and magnetic field inside a void in an 11kV three phase PILC (paper insulated lead covered cable). I'm new to COMSOL and running version 5.0. The model is 2D and the void is about 1mm in diameter (very small compared to the cable).

Basically I need help with:

- Choosing the relative permittivity (epsilon r) of the insulation and void in the cable. I have currently plotted the electrical field in the whole cable (which looks ok using a permittivity of 6 for the insulation) - but I cannot get the void to behave correctly. It should concentrate the field but at the moment the field exactly the same as without the void, not disturbance whatsoever. Any ideas what the er should be inside a void?

- Choosing the relative permeability of the insulation and void in the cable, basically so that I can do the whole thing over again with the magnetic field. I really have no idea what sort of values I need here.

- Plotting the field on the void surface and boundary ONLY, not in the whole cable as well. I'm new to COMSOL so don't quite know how to go about this. I think I need to define a new data set and then just plot that, but I'm not sure which data set type I need.

Btw, this model is just for a basic rough idea of what things look like, so the permeability and permittivity are just ball park figures for now.

Thanks in advance for any help.

0 Replies Last Post 2015年6月15日 GMT-4 03:42
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Robbie Nimmo

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.