Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Meshing problem in two different sized objects

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I am trying to model micro-size spherical particles in a rectangular channel (both are 3D).

I am facing problem in meshing as the particles have diameter of 7 micrometer and the rectangular channel has length of 21 m.

Since there is a lot of difference in size between the two objects (particles and channel), so i am facing problem in meshing. I tried separate tetrahedral meshing on both bodies but it is not working and also triangular mesh on particle boundaries and then using tetrahedral meshing. but both approaches did not worked.

Kindly someone can help me on this issue?
Looking forward for your help

Thank You
Ali

2 Replies Last Post 2015年7月17日 GMT-4 05:59

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年7月16日 GMT-4 02:11
What do you mean by it did not work? Error message?

What are the other dimensions of the channel? I do not know your application but dimensions of six orders of magnitude difference do not communicate with each other.

br
Lasse
What do you mean by it did not work? Error message? What are the other dimensions of the channel? I do not know your application but dimensions of six orders of magnitude difference do not communicate with each other. br Lasse

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年7月17日 GMT-4 05:59
Thank you Lasse for your reply.

Actually I want to model the conjugate heat transfer to see the effect of hot moving fluid on the spherical particles.

So, the rectangular channel (Length = 21 m, width =4.5 m, and depth= 0.3m) represents the hot moving fluid and the particle (dia= 7 micrometer) move into this channel.

First i meshed the particles and channel separately with tetrahedral type of different elements sizes. but Comsol gives a mesh error of empty cavity created in channel.

Then I used edge meshing for particles boundaries and tetrahedral meshing for remaining geometry but the error was not removed.
I think it is due to difference in size of channel and particles
I hope you will understand my problem and may help me on this.

thank you
Ali
Thank you Lasse for your reply. Actually I want to model the conjugate heat transfer to see the effect of hot moving fluid on the spherical particles. So, the rectangular channel (Length = 21 m, width =4.5 m, and depth= 0.3m) represents the hot moving fluid and the particle (dia= 7 micrometer) move into this channel. First i meshed the particles and channel separately with tetrahedral type of different elements sizes. but Comsol gives a mesh error of empty cavity created in channel. Then I used edge meshing for particles boundaries and tetrahedral meshing for remaining geometry but the error was not removed. I think it is due to difference in size of channel and particles I hope you will understand my problem and may help me on this. thank you Ali

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.