Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Brinkman equation in modeling blood flow in biological tissue

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am modeling interstitial blood flow in the tumour tissue surrounded by the normal tissue, which are both assumed to be porous media. So I use Brinkman equation, which consists of momentum and mass balance equations. As there is exchange of blood between interstitium and blood vessels, the source term in mass balance is non-zero. But my question is that does the same source term appear in the momentum equation as well? My bibliography shows that most models just include source term in the continuity equation and not in the momentum equation, as they were implemented in Fluent.

My second question is How to set the continuity boundary conditions (flow and pressure) at the interface between the tumour and normal tissue?
(i) What I have done is to form the geometry as an assembly, thus generating an identical pair automatically. To do so, I have two domains with individual Brinkman equation in each domain. But according to simulation results, this method doesn’t seem to work.
(ii) Alternatively, I formed the geometry as a union, and had one Brinkman equation in both domains, with respective properties, and source terms in each domain. So the interface boundary is treated as an internal boundary, and continuity condition is met by default in Comsol. But the results showed a negative pressure in the proximity of this boundary, which is not reasonable.

Any suggestions on solving these are appreciating. Thank you very much for your help.

Cong

1 Reply Last Post 2015年11月22日 GMT-5 20:59
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Cong Liu

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年11月22日 GMT-5 20:59
Hello Cong,

May I know the justification for using Brinkmann equation instead of the Darcy equation? Have you checked if the negative pressure is due to insufficient elements?

EH
Hello Cong, May I know the justification for using Brinkmann equation instead of the Darcy equation? Have you checked if the negative pressure is due to insufficient elements? EH

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.