Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Ignoring different parts of a geometry for different physics

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to model the mechanical deformation in an electric motor in 3D. The model consists of permanent magnets, coils, and a mechanical support structure.

The magnetic field generated by the permanent magnets and coils is solved in a static magnetic model (Magnetic fields (mf)).
The resulting Lorentz force on the coils is imported as a body load in the mechanical model (Solid Mechanics (solid)).

Now comes the problem: the mechanical support structure is non-magnetic, and has a detailed geometry. Meshing the support structure for the magnetic problem will result in too many mesh elements.

I can deselect the support structure in the magtnetic fields physics, but then the boundary condition of the support structure is set to "magnetic insulation", which results in wrong results for the calculated field.

What I would prefer to do is solve the magnetic fields for a model without the mechanical structure, and include the body load in the full motor with mechanical structure.

Does anyone of you have any experience with this?

I have attached a sample problem. Is it possible in that sample to solve the magnetic fields for only the coil and magnet, and solve the mechanical deformation for only the coil and support?

0 Replies Last Post 2015年10月12日 GMT-4 03:17
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Bart de Bruyn

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.