Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to specify infinite line currents in a 3D Magnetic Field model?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have a Magnetic Fields model where an infinite line current induces current in a nearby passive loop. I have attached a toy model that illustrates this scenario, and image of the geometry.

I define the driving current as an edge current on a straight line segment, and I mesh the actual geometry of the passive loop as a single-turn coil. This kind of model runs perfectly fine if that edge current is a closed loop, but I cannot get the solver to converge for an open loop like the line current shown here. Obviously, an open loop for an edge current is not physically realistic, but there must be some way to get it to work when representing an infinite line current in 3D space. (The attached model has the edge current floating in space within the domain just because the meshing was easier that way. I've tried terminating the edge current to the domain boundary, but that fails in the same way.)

The issue seems tied to the use of infinite element domains on the boundary. If I do not use any infinite element domains, then the solver converges just fine even for the line current, and I get the results you'd expect for that scenario. I do want the infinite element domain included, however, as it's important to the physics of my problem.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

2 Replies Last Post 2015年12月2日 GMT-5 17:24
COMSOL Moderator

Hello KG

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年12月2日 GMT-5 17:16
Hi KG

I tried to ran your model but it took such a long time.
How long did it take for you?

Mathew
Hi KG I tried to ran your model but it took such a long time. How long did it take for you? Mathew

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年12月2日 GMT-5 17:24

Hi KG

I tried to ran your model but it took such a long time.
How long did it take for you?

Mathew

Hey, a reply! I did end up figuring this out with some help from comsol support. I'll try and post an update since there's some interest. I'm a bit too busy today, though, but hopefully tomorrow.

[QUOTE] Hi KG I tried to ran your model but it took such a long time. How long did it take for you? Mathew [/QUOTE] Hey, a reply! I did end up figuring this out with some help from comsol support. I'll try and post an update since there's some interest. I'm a bit too busy today, though, but hopefully tomorrow.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.