Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

continuity identity pairs in 3D (magnetic field physic)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am working on a 3D frequency (several kHz) problem involving magnetic field and moving mesh.
Excitation is done with external current density flowing in a coil. Impedance boundary conditions are applied on conductive boundaries)
To help the mesh deformation I want to use identity pair.

I just want a continuity of variables along the identity boundary, (the identity pair is located in the gas domain), I use the default condition: continuity + magnetic insulation.
I have succeed to make a very close problem in 2d-axy but it seems that there are issues in 3D.

Someone has some background with this problem?

Thank you

Julien

5 Replies Last Post 2016年1月5日 GMT-5 03:06
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Julien Givernaud

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年12月23日 GMT-5 11:20
Hi Julien,

I am facing a similar problem. I am working on a 3D model of an Induction machine. 2D seems to be working fine, but in 3D it appears that the Default Continuity i.e. Magnetic Insulation doesn't work. The flux seems to be limited to the stator iron, I expect it to cross the airgap and enter partly into the rotor as well. In 2D, that is what happens.

Did you manage to solve your problem?

Best,
Faisal.
Hi Julien, I am facing a similar problem. I am working on a 3D model of an Induction machine. 2D seems to be working fine, but in 3D it appears that the Default Continuity i.e. Magnetic Insulation doesn't work. The flux seems to be limited to the stator iron, I expect it to cross the airgap and enter partly into the rotor as well. In 2D, that is what happens. Did you manage to solve your problem? Best, Faisal.

Posted: 9 years ago 2016年1月4日 GMT-5 04:52
Hi Faisal,

No I have give up assembly geometry because of this problem.

Julien
Hi Faisal, No I have give up assembly geometry because of this problem. Julien

Posted: 9 years ago 2016年1月4日 GMT-5 05:58
Hi Julien,

Thanks for the reply.

If you eventually did not employ Assembly, would you kindly let me know how did you manage to make a part of geometry rotating and a part stationary? I am not sure how it is possible without that.

Best,
Faisal.
Hi Julien, Thanks for the reply. If you eventually did not employ Assembly, would you kindly let me know how did you manage to make a part of geometry rotating and a part stationary? I am not sure how it is possible without that. Best, Faisal.

Posted: 9 years ago 2016年1月4日 GMT-5 08:46
I am not solving rotating problems, only small deformations due to magnetic pressure.

Julien
I am not solving rotating problems, only small deformations due to magnetic pressure. Julien

Magnus Olsson COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 2016年1月5日 GMT-5 03:06
Hi Faisal and Julien,

It is a known issue that, for vector element based physics, assembly pair continuity requires identical meshing of source and destination sides (and then of course no relative motion between sides) for the model to be numerically stable. The reason is that in Maxwell-Ampère's law, the equation of continuity is inherent, i.e. by taking the divergence of both sides of

curl(H) = J

one gets

div(J) = 0

At an assembly boundary with non-conforming meshes, the interpolation errors will result in significant current sources/imbalances and hence an inconsistent right-hand side to the first equation. I should add that there is no known stabilization method for this problem.

This is explained in the model

ACDC_Module/Motors_and_Actuators/rotating_machinery_3d_tutorial

which also shows how to get around the problem by using a magnetic scalar potential formulation (magnetostatic approximation) on both sides of the assembly pair (in the air gap region).

Best regards,
Magnus
Hi Faisal and Julien, It is a known issue that, for vector element based physics, assembly pair continuity requires identical meshing of source and destination sides (and then of course no relative motion between sides) for the model to be numerically stable. The reason is that in Maxwell-Ampère's law, the equation of continuity is inherent, i.e. by taking the divergence of both sides of curl(H) = J one gets div(J) = 0 At an assembly boundary with non-conforming meshes, the interpolation errors will result in significant current sources/imbalances and hence an inconsistent right-hand side to the first equation. I should add that there is no known stabilization method for this problem. This is explained in the model ACDC_Module/Motors_and_Actuators/rotating_machinery_3d_tutorial which also shows how to get around the problem by using a magnetic scalar potential formulation (magnetostatic approximation) on both sides of the assembly pair (in the air gap region). Best regards, Magnus

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.