Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Laser heating process with flexible intensity distribution

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello COMSOL Community,

I want to simulate a Laser Process (heating of a metal sheet) using an arbitrary intensity distribution. The models in the database or the ones discussed in the forum do either base on gaussian or top-hat intensity distribution.

One option is to describe the intensity distribution using analytical functions in COMSOL. In the end this is complicated, at the point when you have to combine different functions for the desired intensity distribution. Besiedes this, the normalization of the heatflux requires an integration and I assume this will lead to an increasing computation time.

I would like to use a description of the intensity distribution from MATLAB by integrating a MATLAB-function in the global definitions of the COMSOL model (see attached files). Of course MATLAB delivers a Matrix I(x,y)> but COMSOL somehow can´t deal with it since the following error occurs:

Failed to find consistent initial values.
Incorrect size of returned vector. 1 elements were expected, but the returned matrix was 301 x 601
Function: funcpl
Last time step is not converged.
- Feature: Time-Dependent Solver 1 (sol1/t1)

Can anybody help me with this issue?

I am also thankful for other approaches in order implement arbitrary intensity distributions.

Best Whishes
Martin

0 Replies Last Post 2015年11月28日 GMT-5 08:46
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Max

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.