Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Internal Convection in a box with heat transfer

Wesden Almeida Borges

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everybody!

I have a problem when modelling convection in a close box (rectangular shape) using general heat transfer module and weak compressible navier-stokes module coupled. I wanna know the profiles of heat flux and velocities on the fluid (argon, gas) but... My models don't converge... I think this can be solved in a simple mode, but i really don't figure out, yet. Can anyone post a solved model like this?

Description of my model:

Rectangular box, (0,80 m in x, 2,8 m in y)
Material Library: Argon (gas form)

General Heat Tranfer
Physics: default
convective box checked, velocity field marked as "u" and "v", Pa = 1[atm];
initial temperature=25[degC];
Bondary settings: botton: Temperature=(25+0.7*t[1/s])[degC]; all others: Insulation

Weakly Compressible Navier-Stokes
physics: all default, plus Fy=-9.8[m/s^2]*rho_chns
stabilization tab: all default
initial: u,v =0 (both), Po=1[atm]
Bondary Settings: wall, no slip (all them)

The time evolution that I tried was 100 seconds

I've already tried:

- Refining meshes
- Changes the solver
- Using a bondary condiction of heat flux instead Temperature (in general heat transfer, botton of box)

I always only find this message:

Error:
Failed to find consistent initial values.
Last time step is not converged.

Thanks for reading, sorry for the long text. :)

3 Replies Last Post 2010年10月5日 GMT-4 16:09

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年9月28日 GMT-4 04:22
Just some quick questions: did you try with setting a point pressure to 1atm as well?
or pressure=0. In case of natural convection I usually see people have problem with pressure setting of NS. Did you check what part of the model is not converging: fluid or Heat transfer?
Just some quick questions: did you try with setting a point pressure to 1atm as well? or pressure=0. In case of natural convection I usually see people have problem with pressure setting of NS. Did you check what part of the model is not converging: fluid or Heat transfer?

Wesden Almeida Borges

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年9月28日 GMT-4 16:24
Hello, Danial!

I ever tried setting initial pressure = 1 atm, at initial tab (chns)... can I set this in other way?
If I model only using the general heat transfer, it can work, but I cannot get the velocity profile of fluid in internal convection... so I guess the problem is on Navier-Stokes modelling... the error message returned is that what I mentioned...

Thanks for help!
Hello, Danial! I ever tried setting initial pressure = 1 atm, at initial tab (chns)... can I set this in other way? If I model only using the general heat transfer, it can work, but I cannot get the velocity profile of fluid in internal convection... so I guess the problem is on Navier-Stokes modelling... the error message returned is that what I mentioned... Thanks for help!

Wesden Almeida Borges

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年10月5日 GMT-4 16:09
Hello!

Anyone have a model at least similar to that I discribed above?
My model still doesn't work, and the problem isn't too hard, I think...

best regards,
Hello! Anyone have a model at least similar to that I discribed above? My model still doesn't work, and the problem isn't too hard, I think... best regards,

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.