Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Access into the time step in time-dependent solver

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,

Is it possible to access into the time step loop in Time-Dependent Study?
For example, At t=0[s], solve A
At t=0.1[s] Solve B,C,D,.......
At t= 0.2[s] Solve A
At t=0.3[s] Sove B,C,D,.....

Best regards,
N.N

2 Replies Last Post 2016年3月17日 GMT-4 22:57
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年3月17日 GMT-4 14:22
Hello Nhan,
I suspect you misunderstand what a time-dependent solver does, or that you are trying to abuse time-dependent solvers to accomplish something that they are not intended for (and can likely be done better some other way). Time-dependent solvers are used to solve problems that evolve continuously over a time range; they are not intended to be used to solve sequences of discrete solution steps. The latter can be accomplished in other ways, including some that other Forum users have pointed out in response to your previous postings on this topic (i.e. programming through MATLAB or the App Builder).
Should you need further assistance, we invite you to please contact COMSOL's support team to discuss the best approach to follow.
Best regards,
Jeff
Hello Nhan, I suspect you misunderstand what a time-dependent solver does, or that you are trying to abuse time-dependent solvers to accomplish something that they are not intended for (and can likely be done better some other way). Time-dependent solvers are used to solve problems that evolve continuously over a time range; they are not intended to be used to solve sequences of discrete solution steps. The latter can be accomplished in other ways, including some that other Forum users have pointed out in response to your previous postings on this topic (i.e. programming through MATLAB or the App Builder). Should you need further assistance, we invite you to please contact COMSOL's support team to discuss the best approach to follow. Best regards, Jeff

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年3月17日 GMT-4 22:57
Hi Jeff,
First, thanks a lot for your help !

I may misunderstand the functionality of Time-Dependent Solver.
All I want to know is how to solve sequences of solution steps related with time.
At t=0, A is solved and then B,C,D,..... (B,C,D,... use solution from A)
At t=0+delta(t), A (use solution from B,C,D,..) is solved again and then B,C,D,...(B,C,D,... use solution from A).

Can you give me a hint to implement that ?
It'll be great if you help me.

Best regards,
N.N
Hi Jeff, First, thanks a lot for your help ! I may misunderstand the functionality of Time-Dependent Solver. All I want to know is how to solve sequences of solution steps related with time. At t=0, A is solved and then B,C,D,..... (B,C,D,... use solution from A) At t=0+delta(t), A (use solution from B,C,D,..) is solved again and then B,C,D,...(B,C,D,... use solution from A). Can you give me a hint to implement that ? It'll be great if you help me. Best regards, N.N

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.