Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Coupling DOFs of an edge (Degrees of Freedom)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi!!

I am working with a 2D model in the solid mechanics module, the idea is to keep a straight line straight after impossing a displacement in other edge of the figure. First I tried with "Rigid connector" boundary, but it induces big strains in my model. Therefore I was wondering if it is possible to couple all the degrees of freedom on the edge as it is done in ANSYS so the edge keeps straight with not that big strains and tensions caused by the rigid connector

1 Reply Last Post 2016年4月15日 GMT-4 02:09
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年4月15日 GMT-4 02:09
Hi,

There are several ways you can do that. In the model

www.comsol.com/model/thermo-mechanical-analysis-of-a-surface-mounted-resistor-481

you can see one example where two boundaries (in 3D) are kept flat by setting a prescribed displacement over the whole boundary equal to the (yet unknown) value in a single point on the same boundary.

This model is also available in Application Libraries->Structural Mechanics Module->Thermal-Structure Interaction->surface_resistor

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, There are several ways you can do that. In the model https://www.comsol.com/model/thermo-mechanical-analysis-of-a-surface-mounted-resistor-481 you can see one example where two boundaries (in 3D) are kept flat by setting a prescribed displacement over the whole boundary equal to the (yet unknown) value in a single point on the same boundary. This model is also available in Application Libraries->Structural Mechanics Module->Thermal-Structure Interaction->surface_resistor Regards, Henrik

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.