Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Create a 2D Laser Heat Source

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello to all of you,
i want to implement soldering by laser in a 2D environment. Therefore i use the heat transfer branch. Actually, i created a metal sheet in form of a rectangle with solder in form of a circular segment on it. Now i want to heat up the solder by a laser heat source. I tried to transform the following tutorial "Laser Heating of a Silicon Wafer" into 2D, but i failed.
www.comsol.com/model/download/262531/models.mph.laser_heating_wafer.pdf

I also tried to implement the laser heat source as a boundary heat source. But in that case, you can't implement the profile of the laser beam. What i didn't get anyway, is the "general source" input. What kind of variable is this and how can i transfrom the power of the laser into this variable?

The laser i want to simulate has the following values:
P = 4000 W
Radius of the spot size = 1,4 mm
Form of the laser beam = gaussian pulse

Can somebody explain me how it works?

Thanks a lot.

Greets, Max

0 Replies Last Post 2016年5月12日 GMT-4 07:56
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Maximilian Maußner

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.