Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Module variable names

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Is there a list of variables that are associated with a module? I want to find the notation for the Maxwell Stress Tensor in the Electrostatics module, but I have no idea where to look. I tried the manual and other help fields, but I couldn't find anything.

Often times I see various variables referenced in tutorial models and they just use the names as if it were totally obvious what they are called.

3 Replies Last Post 2016年7月8日 GMT-4 09:13
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年5月31日 GMT-4 17:48
You can find the mathematical definitions of variables derived from the primary variables by turning on "Equation View" (by using the "Show" button - the one with the eye icon at the top of the Model Builder) and then browsing through the model tree. Many of those expressions rely on the syntax and operators detailed in the Reference Manual, version 5.2, Chapter 5.

Note also that the COMSOL names of many quantities of interest can be figured from the post-processing tools: e.g. select "Electric potential" as the quantity to postprocess and COMSOL will show that the expression for it is, say, V.
Best regards,
Jeff
You can find the mathematical definitions of variables derived from the primary variables by turning on "Equation View" (by using the "Show" button - the one with the eye icon at the top of the Model Builder) and then browsing through the model tree. Many of those expressions rely on the syntax and operators detailed in the Reference Manual, version 5.2, Chapter 5. Note also that the COMSOL names of many quantities of interest can be figured from the post-processing tools: e.g. select "Electric potential" as the quantity to postprocess and COMSOL will show that the expression for it is, say, V. Best regards, Jeff

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年5月31日 GMT-4 17:59
Yes! Thank you so much!

I had been using the post-processing variables for what I can, but obviously not everything is included there.
Yes! Thank you so much! I had been using the post-processing variables for what I can, but obviously not everything is included there.

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年7月8日 GMT-4 09:13
See also www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/118442/ for a new way of getting that info available starting at version 5.2a.
Jeff
See also https://www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/118442/ for a new way of getting that info available starting at version 5.2a. Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.