Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

What are "outer boundaries" and "internal boundaries"?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello.

When I read the Corrosion Module User's Guide, I could not figure out the meaning of "outer boundary" and "internal boundary" exactly.
So I want to know the exact meanings of them.

In the "Electrode Surface" section at p.79 of the CorrosionModuleUsersGuide.pdf(ver5.2), it is said:
"This node can only be applied on outer boundaries to electrolyte domains. For internal boundaries between electrolyte and electrode domains, use the Internal Electrode Surface node."

This means that there are two nodes for setting the electrochemical reaction at the electrode surface and I should choose one of them case by case.

Please tell me what are outer boundary and internal boundary.
And I also want to know the example using Electrode Surfce node or Internal Electrode Surface node (if possible).

2 Replies Last Post 2016年8月1日 GMT-4 20:27
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年7月29日 GMT-4 10:40
An "outer" boundary is one that has a meshed (computation) region on only one side of it. An inner boundary has meshed (computation) regions on both sides. An outer boundary is like an "exterior wall" of your house, while an inner boundary is like an "interior wall" in your house.
An "outer" boundary is one that has a meshed (computation) region on only one side of it. An inner boundary has meshed (computation) regions on both sides. An outer boundary is like an "exterior wall" of your house, while an inner boundary is like an "interior wall" in your house.

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年8月1日 GMT-4 20:27
Hi, Robert

Your answer helps me understand the difference between two types of boundaries.

So it means that I should use the Electrode Surface node to set the electrode potential when the computation region is the electrolyte only, right?
Hi, Robert Your answer helps me understand the difference between two types of boundaries. So it means that I should use the Electrode Surface node to set the electrode potential when the computation region is the electrolyte only, right?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.