Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

domains 'not applicable' in non isothermal flow

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am adding natural convection to a simulation of ice melting in 2d. I have added laminar flow as well as heat transfer in fluids with a 'heat transfer with phase change' and I have set the domains there for the solid and fluid.
However when I get to the multiphysics component, I am unable to select the fluid domain. All domains appear as 'not applicable'. Please see attached screenshot

Could someone please point out how I can resolve this issue?

Many thanks
Jesse

8 Replies Last Post 2016年12月6日 GMT-5 10:22

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年11月22日 GMT-5 11:07
You might have selected both domain as solid in heat transfer module.
You might have selected both domain as solid in heat transfer module.

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年11月23日 GMT-5 03:23
@Sohan, thank you for the reply.

I have the following selected
where 1 is the outside solid and 2 is the inside fluid
Heat transfer in Fluids 3 (ht3) : [1 & 2]
Heat transfer in Fluids 1 : [1 & 2 (both overridden)]
Heat transfer with Phase Change 1 : [2]
Heat Transfer in Solids 1 : [1]

in the Laminar Flow domain only domain 2 is selected
@Sohan, thank you for the reply. I have the following selected where 1 is the outside solid and 2 is the inside fluid Heat transfer in Fluids 3 (ht3) : [1 & 2] Heat transfer in Fluids 1 : [1 & 2 (both overridden)] Heat transfer with Phase Change 1 : [2] Heat Transfer in Solids 1 : [1] in the Laminar Flow domain only domain 2 is selected

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年11月29日 GMT-5 03:03
I still have not been able to figure this out...
the domains which are currently selected seem to make sense, is there a mistake there?

where else could I look to see why I am unable to select the fluid in the Non isothermal flow component?
I still have not been able to figure this out... the domains which are currently selected seem to make sense, is there a mistake there? where else could I look to see why I am unable to select the fluid in the Non isothermal flow component?

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年11月30日 GMT-5 04:06
so it seems the only way I can select the fluid domain in the 'non isothermal flow' component is to disable 'Heat transfer with Phase change' in 'heat transfer in fluids'

Are these two modules not able to work together? If so, how do I manually couple the heat and fluid flow?

many thanks
Jesse
so it seems the only way I can select the fluid domain in the 'non isothermal flow' component is to disable 'Heat transfer with Phase change' in 'heat transfer in fluids' Are these two modules not able to work together? If so, how do I manually couple the heat and fluid flow? many thanks Jesse

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年11月30日 GMT-5 10:18
You do not need separate solid and liquid node in heat transfer module when you use phase change material node. Depending on initial temperature value of the domain, it will behave like solid or liquid. In laminar flow physics node include both domains. See the attached model I created based on your problem description. Hope it will help you.

With best wishes,
Sohan
You do not need separate solid and liquid node in heat transfer module when you use phase change material node. Depending on initial temperature value of the domain, it will behave like solid or liquid. In laminar flow physics node include both domains. See the attached model I created based on your problem description. Hope it will help you. With best wishes, Sohan

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年12月1日 GMT-5 10:55
Thank you very much Sohan for your help.

I have tried with 5.1 and on another PC which has 5.2 but I am unable to open the example you provided. I guess it was created with 5.2a? Is there any way I could convert this to either 5.1 or 5.2?

many thanks
Jesse
Thank you very much Sohan for your help. I have tried with 5.1 and on another PC which has 5.2 but I am unable to open the example you provided. I guess it was created with 5.2a? Is there any way I could convert this to either 5.1 or 5.2? many thanks Jesse

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年12月6日 GMT-5 04:17
@Sohan,
thank you again for your help. I was not able to find a way to convert your example to v5.1.
Do you think you could write a short description of how you used the laminar flow module? How did you incorporate the phase change?

many thanks
Jesse
@Sohan, thank you again for your help. I was not able to find a way to convert your example to v5.1. Do you think you could write a short description of how you used the laminar flow module? How did you incorporate the phase change? many thanks Jesse

Jonas Inhestern COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年12月6日 GMT-5 10:22
Dear Jesse,

the ability to combine Nonisothermal Flow multiphysics node with Phase Change Material feature has been introduced in COMSOL version 5.2a. We recommend to update to this version to benefit from this new capability. For further information please contact the COMSOL support team:
www.comsol.de/support

Best regards,
Jonas Inhestern
Dear Jesse, the ability to combine Nonisothermal Flow multiphysics node with Phase Change Material feature has been introduced in COMSOL version 5.2a. We recommend to update to this version to benefit from this new capability. For further information please contact the COMSOL support team: https://www.comsol.de/support Best regards, Jonas Inhestern

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.